Like Tree55Likes

Singapore Opens Up- HK, Brunei and Germany

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Singapore Opens Up- HK, Brunei and Germany

Singapore to start quarantine-free travel for visitors from Hong Kong, Brunei and Germany

Travelers from Hong Kong and Macao, regardless of vaccination status, can now apply for an air travel pass to enter Singapore.

They will need to take a Covid-19 test when they arrive in Singapore, and self-isolate until they receive a negative test result. There will be no need to serve quarantine.

Visitors need to have spent the last 21 consecutive days in Hong Kong or Macao before traveling to Singapore.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/19/sing...ndroidappshare

Hopefully this lasts longer than the travel bubble with HK..

rs4 likes this.

https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/healt...ong-kong-macau

"Singapore citizens, permanent residents and long-term pass holders arriving from Hong Kong and Macau will have earlier access to the scheme starting this Saturday."

Not for normal tourism stuff. Citizens, PR and work visa people only. And even if it is for tourists, is Singapore worth 14 days hotel quarantine?

CNBC seems to imply 'visitors'.. but the scmp thing makes more sense as a middle ground.

From what I can se ...Singapore PR / residents from this week. Travellers from next week.

Cheeky Kiwi and Gatts like this.

Well this is gonna upset Dr Leung.

Doubtless we'll soon see 28 days QT on return from Sing in case some hapless HKer walks past a German who might have spotted a Frenchman over the Rhine.

shri, drumbrake, AliT and 3 others like this.

https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/healt...gtype=homepage

Vindication arrived even more rapidly than one could hope.

The collapse of the bubble is also foreshadowed in this earlier article highlighting all the problems (including the ill-considered serology tests) with the HK approach.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...ingapore-talks

Negotiations between Hong Kong and Singapore over their much-delayed travel bubble are being hobbled by disagreements over antibody tests and vaccination rules against
    Covid-19
    , the Post has learned.
    Sources familiar with the discussions on Tuesday said it was proposed that a unilateral decision by Hong Kong to require all of its residents to have had two doses of a
    Covid-19 vaccine
    at least a fortnight before departure be extended to Singaporeans.
    Under the bubble, travellers from both cities would need to be fully inoculated, but the two governments have not agreed on vaccination rules

Another obstacle was a plan by Hong Kong to impose antibody tests on inbound travellers, one source revealed. The Hong Kong government attempted to partially align the bubble with a recent initiative to tie antibody levels to shorter mandatory quarantine periods for all incoming visitors.
    Doesn’t even exist anymore.

Just go to a Toast Box, it's the same experience.

Cheeky Kiwi and muzzdang like this.

Travellers from Hong Kong and Macau will need only a negative result from a polymerase chain reaction test and do not have to be vaccinated.
    No quarantine in Singapore at all. Yes, visitors are restricted for now, but very indicative of approach I think. Broadened pool to follow. People thinking ahead there.

Hopefully this lasts longer than the travel bubble with HK..
    It should, because it doesn’t rely on the HK government.
    Mrs. Jones and Gatts like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeky Kiwi:
    "Singapore citizens, permanent residents and long-term pass holders arriving from Hong Kong and Macau will have earlier access to the scheme starting this Saturday."
    Aside from tourism and long term pass holders, there is a pretty important category called 'family'. Maybe not economically important, but just being able to see close relatives again after years of being unable to visit is very important to some people - many of us I think - who built their life on the expectation that travel is easy and convenient. I know of people who haven't seen spouses for two years and, in one case, their child _ever_.
    I wish it would open up faster but a blessing is a blessing....

None of the Singaporeans I know is taking advantage. They haven't seen family for over 2 years, and I guess 2 years is not long enough to endure 14 days in a hotel quarantine, that could change to 21 days at somebody's whim.

Fact is, most Singaporeans having left Singapore are probably not dying to go back.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast