Like Tree115Likes

Primary Schools - No cafeteria = No Full Day Classes

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    I forgot to add that this school can currently hold classes till 3ish - as normal...

However, magically from 1st October something happens and school has to end early.
    Oct 1 is the day the exemptions for individual schools to do full day classes ends. 70% vax rate among staff+students required beyond that for full day (local schools can also participate).

It's completely arbitrary of course.

Original Post Deleted
    Flying on local airlines in Nigeria has given me a deep seated fear of flying that I have never recovered from! I know it’s illogical, but then, fears usually are. Back to vaccines - my teenage daughter is vaccinated, but I can genuinely understand parents who are fearful of vaccinating kids. Particularly with MRNA vaccines, as we genuinely don’t know what the effect of manipulating DNA will have in the future. Will my daughter’s children be affected by the manipulation of her DNA? We simply don’t know. But for us it was a risk worth taking (in consultation with her), because we thought the risk of her getting COVID outweighed the concerns. But when that decision was made my husband had already been made redundant (by the HK company that 17 months earlier brought us to HK with written and oral assurances of a long term, permanent position ) and we knew that our future was likely to be somewhere with much higher COVID rates. If I was an anti-vax parent living permanently in HK there would really be no incentive to get my child vaccinated. But equally, I don’t see a way out of the pandemic, back to normality, unless a large proportion of the population is vaxxed.

Separately, I don’t think local HK doctors help. We went to get advice about our daughter being vaxxed (she has a number of allergies), and the doctor straight out said he wouldn’t recommend it. We then paid cash ourselves to see a Western doctor, who was much better at talking us through the risks and dangers, and benefits. If we’d stuck with QHC the advice would have been not to get her vaccinated at all.
    TaD_LaLa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jillypots:
    Flying on local airlines in Nigeria has given me a deep seated fear of flying that I have never recovered from! I know it’s illogical, but then, fears usually are. Back to vaccines - my teenage daughter is vaccinated, but I can genuinely understand parents who are fearful of vaccinating kids. Particularly with MRNA vaccines, as we genuinely don’t know what the effect of manipulating DNA will have in the future. Will my daughter’s children be affected by the manipulation of her DNA? We simply don’t know. But for us it was a risk worth taking (in consultation with her), because we thought the risk of her getting COVID outweighed the concerns. But when that decision was made my husband had already been made redundant (by the HK company that 17 months earlier brought us to HK with written and oral assurances of a long term, permanent position ) and we knew that our future was likely to be somewhere with much higher COVID rates. If I was an anti-vax parent living permanently in HK there would really be no incentive to get my child vaccinated. But equally, I don’t see a way out of the pandemic, back to normality, unless a large proportion of the population is vaxxed.

Separately, I don’t think local HK doctors help. We went to get advice about our daughter being vaxxed (she has a number of allergies), and the doctor straight out said he wouldn’t recommend it. We then paid cash ourselves to see a Western doctor, who was much better at talking us through the risks and dangers, and benefits. If we’d stuck with QHC the advice would have been not to get her vaccinated at all.
    mRNA does not manipulate your DNA, genome or anything else. It is the intermediary between DNA and protein production. Basically, DNA unzips when it needs to be expressed. A reverse copy of the DNA is made- the mRNA. The mRNA is processed within the cell by an organelle called a ribosome.

The m in mRNA is for messenger. It does not enter the nucleus, does not re-inetgrate into your DNA or genome. It is a short lived expression to produce a protein. It is rapidly broken down and it's components recycled with the cell.

The mRNA vaccine encodes for a protein on the surface of the virus. As this emerges from the cell, it is recognised as 'non-self' by the immune system and an immune response is launched- the antibodies and memory cells.

MRNA itself is highly unstable and degrades- partly the reason why it is stored at low temperatures (this may also be due to the vesicles created to allow delivery into the cel)l. It is a new method of creating vaccines only possible because of massive advance in DNA technology. It is incredible science and should be admired, not feared.

I don’t fear it. I’m vaccinated, as is my whole family. I think it’s reasonable to say that we don’t know what possible repercussions there may be in the future, as this is relatively new technology. I hope, as all parents of vaccinated kids do, that there are no repercussions. I still think vaccinating everyone possible is the way forward, but I think it’s naive to suppose that the process will be entirely
    risk free for everyone. Acknowledging possible risk doesn’t mean that vaccinations aren’t the best (and so far only) way forward.

Fair enough. I’m the first to say that I don’t completely understand the science. But I also understand that the FDA have only given temporary approval, and many scientists who obviously understand the process much better than me, or anyone else in this forum, have agreed that vaccines are not completely risk free. So I can understand people’s reluctance. But I did the right thing - I sought medical advice - twice (!) - and both times was told that there were risks - some of which we don’t fully understand now.

Even so , we are a fully vaccinated family, and I am very grateful for that, and also grateful to the wonderful nurses and the doctor in Hing Kong who looked after my daughter when she did react to her first vaccine.

I reacted strongly to the vaccine, mild fever, localised pain, fatigue. It is normal, it is your immune system kicking in. The second dose was even worse.

I am glad your daughter is okay (I don’t know her reaction but hope it was mild) and I completely get the worry but you need to keep the worry in proportion. It is the fact you are choosing to go into “harms” way that makes you anxious. Other much greater risks are there all the time and you just accept them.

FFS. THERE IS NO MANIPULATION OF ANYONES DNA GOING ON IN THE VACCINES. They are mRNA (m = messanger) vaccines.
    Mrs. Jones likes this.

Fair enough. I’m the first to say that I don’t completely understand the science. But I also understand that the FDA have only given temporary approval,
    Why fear something you dont understand? Why not get educated instead? And the US FDA has now given full approval, so it's not temporary any more. The "risks" related only to components in the vaccine which were known to cause allergic reactions in some (tiny) number of people, who already knew they were prone to such reactions. Anyone who didn't know if they would have an allergic reaction was not going to have one, because anyone with that level of allergies would be well aware of it and carry an epipen anyway.

Fair enough. I’m the first to say that I don’t completely understand the science. But I also understand that the FDA have only given temporary approval, and many scientists who obviously understand the process much better than me, or anyone else in this forum, have agreed that vaccines are not completely risk free. So I can understand people’s reluctance. But I did the right thing - I sought medical advice - twice (!) - and both times was told that there were risks - some of which we don’t fully understand now.

Even so , we are a fully vaccinated family, and I am very grateful for that, and also grateful to the wonderful nurses and the doctor in Hing Kong who looked after my daughter when she did react to her first vaccine.
    Full FDA approval was granted to Pfizer a couple of weeks ago.
    shri, Mrs. Jones and Jillypots like this.

OMG! I don’t fear the vaccine. I did seek advice!! We are all vaccinated! My daughter did have a reaction, but because we had prepared so well for it she is in a hospital and treated swiftly.

shri, jgl, kittykaitak and 3 others like this.