Like Tree92Likes

Staying "Not Bored" in Hong Kong - 2021 "Its Still Hot" Edition...

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by seirin:
    People tell me go out and do stuff when I tell them I'm bored as hell - as if it's my fault I don't find anything exciting (38 degrees centigrade temperatures whoopeedoo - lets go out and catch heat stroke!!!). What's more obvious is that it's a sign of mental health deteriorating - and I'm not really sure how much longer I can continue on like this.
    I really feel like I'm stuck in limbo until the weather breaks, just treading water until I can enjoy anything that's not air-conditioned and artificially lit.

I did just buy myself a VR headset, both for indoor exercise, and escaping from real reality - frankly, I'm earning more at the moment that I ever have, and I'm spending bugger all, so it's a good time to buy a few toys!
    dossier likes this.

That's the thing. I'd love to take up sailing again and get qualified, but logistically it's too hard. Too hard, too, to get out and do other water sports, too. (We ALL face this problem with Sai Kung traffic.)

I want nothing more than rolling hills and a trail through wheat fields.

Hate to speak ill of Hong Kongs nature, because it is indeed very impressive, but still... Its a small place with a lot of steps!

As for traveling, I actually had become fatigued with short trips and aware of the environmental impact. But here, we can't even use that glorious new West Kowloon station or bridge. Like Skyhook says, other countries have ways to get out even just by car, train, bus... Here there's just a ferry to Cheung Chau.

Perhaps closer to the time, we'll pack up, sell off everything, and spend a couple of months more centrally in a serviced apartment. But too late to learn sailing.. .

Flapster and alexdown like this.

There is a little or a lot to do in HongKong. I am an extrovert stuck in the zombie world, coz of family and money. The education system is monotonous and robotic. I got an MTB from Decathlon in June and covered a lot of Kms in a few months. Great cycling trails(most of which are shaded) will get you closer to nature and happy. Get into anything outdoorsy with proper clothing and tons of water/sunscreen and you will be good. Gotta beat the heat and boredom by finding 'your' dope. Otherwise, with the indifferent population, you might end up with lots of money and depression.

YOUTUBE solves all unhappiness/boredom LOL

so much crap to watch on youtube

blueagles likes this.

I miss flying...what should I do to get that fix when I can't fly?

Difficult topic indeed, we all have our constraints in term of health, money etc for what we can do as well.

I would say meeting up with friends still here, where you can moan together with other people is helpful. Preferable limit the moaning and actually enjoy a nice day together. Do it over a dinner, BBQ, texas hold em or whatever floats your boat.

Talking about boats, the cruise the nowhere is something we decided to do with a big group of friends.

Elegiaque likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    I miss flying...what should I do to get that fix when I can't fly?
    Time to start paragliding?

Quote Originally Posted by RobRoy:
    Difficult topic indeed, we all have our constraints in term of health, money etc for what we can do as well.

I would say meeting up with friends still here, where you can moan together with other people is helpful. Preferable limit the moaning and actually enjoy a nice day together. Do it over a dinner, BBQ, texas hold em or whatever floats your boat.

Talking about boats, the cruise the nowhere is something we decided to do with a big group of friends.
    Genting cruise right? How was that?

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    Genting cruise right? How was that?
    Nah, we didnt like that, heard food not great etc. I trust Royal Caribbean with their brand new boat more. Will go late October.
    Coolboy and Elegiaque like this.

This might be a bit harsh but it really is not intended to be that way. Being in HK under Covid with the ridiculous flip flopping, QT rules, flight bans and with the current measures showing no signs of easing is one thing. But moaning about the climate just seems like a convenient excuse to sit there feeling sorry for yourself.

You need to do something to break that cycle. Have you actually looked at a map of HK including the NT and honestly said to yourself you've covered everywhere. You've got all of the Islands accessible from Central or Aberdeen. You've got other places to go such as Grass Island (and you could do the long boat ride there from University).

Shopping is not my thing but daily steps are. This might sound odd to some but last weekend because of the climate I decided to do my steps indoors so I did Diamond Hill, Kowloon Tong and Sha Tin shopping centres covering almost every inch of them. A coffee stop on the way, an ice cream stop on the way and food at Sha Tin. It was something completely different and filled a day.

I've also recently done the tram from Kennedy to Shau Kei Wan. Never done the entire end to end journey before. Was it fantastic? No not really. Was it different? Yes.

I realise neither of the above are probably going to appeal to other people's tastes but getting creative has had its benefits for me.

There must be others on here that have done something completely different that might spark an idea or two?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast