Like Tree92Likes

Staying "Not Bored" in Hong Kong - 2021 "Its Still Hot" Edition...

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
  1. #31

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    6,542

    One thing I haven't ever done is DRIVE in Hong Kong. I've thought about renting a car for one day to go from Bride's Pool to Shek O to Tuen Mun to Tung Chung. I am slightly terrified of facing HK taxi drivers...

    Oh boy, how exciting.

    ByeByeEngland likes this.

  2. #32

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,189
    Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Outrigger or surf ski, where you can paddle for hours and cover tens of km, vs dragonboat, where you bust your ass like crazy to move a giant bathtub, what, 250 meters?
    But there's the team sport aspect of it...the competitiveness...

    oh well, looks like you made up your mind already! Hope you at least tried it - maybe you weren't so lucky with the team!

  3. #33

    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    7,463
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    One thing I haven't ever done is DRIVE in Hong Kong. I've thought about renting a car for one day to go from Bride's Pool to Shek O to Tuen Mun to Tung Chung. I am slightly terrified of facing HK taxi drivers...

    Oh boy, how exciting.
    Actually once you get used to it, HK driving is not that bad. You have to be alert to the crazies on the road, but that applies to driving in the US and UK too.

  4. #34

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    6,542
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    Actually once you get used to it, HK driving is not that bad. You have to be alert to the crazies on the road, but that applies to driving in the US and UK too.
    Is it worth it then to "Get used to it" for one day only that's meant to be "fun"?

  5. #35

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    11,884
    Quote Originally Posted by alexdown:
    But there's the team sport aspect of it...the competitiveness...

    oh well, looks like you made up your mind already! Hope you at least tried it - maybe you weren't so lucky with the team!
    Yeah, it's more 'team' and less 'sport' for the most part- hence all the big corporates having teams where people join on an annual basis (with all the attendant drama of trying to get people to actually turn up for training).

    I'm definitely less team and more sport.

  6. #36

    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    7,463
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    Is it worth it then to "Get used to it" for one day only that's meant to be "fun"?
    If you have driven on the same side of the road as HK in the past (i.e. in UK, Australia, Japan or Singapore), and possess a valid license, you should be able to manage.

    The real challenge is not the actual driving skill, but knowing where you are going. Navigation is the bigger test because HK road signs aren't the best and knowing which lane you have to go on needs practice and experience in some cases. So the key is to plan your journey well beforehand. Google Map is not always the best help since they sometimes get the route wrong. Better to get a specific map for drivers and plan which road you want to use rather than decide to go on an impulsive urge without prior planning.
    Last edited by Coolboy; 17-09-2021 at 08:53 PM.
    Skyhook likes this.

  7. #37

    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    7,463
    Original Post Deleted
    You obviously have no clue what you are talking about. But I am sure most geoexpaters are wise to your nonsense by now. Try driving in LA or New York. Or Italy or Russia. Or India. All of those places have drivers worse than HK. And I haven't even mention Mainland China...

  8. #38

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,189
    Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Yeah, it's more 'team' and less 'sport' for the most part- hence all the big corporates having teams where people join on an annual basis (with all the attendant drama of trying to get people to actually turn up for training).

    I'm definitely less team and more sport.
    Don't join a corporate team then. Plenty of competitive ones around, especially on the local side (e.g. little to no gweilo)

  9. #39

    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    7,463
    Original Post Deleted
    And there are plenty of bad drivers cams in the US, UK, Russia, India etc, you name it. Doesn't make HK drivers especially worse. They are certainly not the best, I will say that. But the worse drivers around? Nope.

  10. #40

    Swimming Shed was beautiful at sunset.

    Elegiaque likes this.