Like Tree67Likes

Go Where? Tangent - Who is leaving HK

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by thinkingofhk:
    I was indeed being sarcastic with the soccer thing. It is Brazil. You could have taken a hint with the corruption thing but in hindsight it doesn’t really narrow anything down these days…
    you were good in football, now you are like second class like the rest of South America. But you have the talent, must be a fucked up management.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutark:
    you were good in football, now you are like second class like the rest of South America. But you have the talent, must be a fucked up management.
    yeah see the bit above about corruption

No idea.

For the first time, I am genuinely looking at leaving HK but I have as yet no idea where to go. Definitely not UK, but somewhere else in Europe maybe? A lot depends on wife's job and kid's schools, but sometimes I want to forget how boring I've become and just take a risk on life, similar to what I did moving from UK to China over two decades ago.

It's not easy.

Sage and TaD_LaLa like this.

West Europe for me since mid August. I said in another post last month that it wouldn’t make much sense for me to stay if the government backtracked on quarantine rules. Well they did so I left. The governmental direction with regard to COVID was the biggest straw for me, not geopolitics with China. I said that I believed that it might take another two years or so for HK to open up. Again, I don’t want to waste my life being stuck in a golden cage where space limitations, pollution, general morale, among other issues are too large to ignore.

shri, TheBrit, drumbrake and 9 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by thinkingofhk:
    For me it’s either moving to Taiwan next summer, as it was originally planned prior to Covid closures, or back to the USA for good. My home country is a cesspool of Covid and corruption (though we’re good at soccer), so no chance of ever returning there.
    I am living in Taiwan since about 4 years back, 9 years in HK prior to that.

If you are not in to chilling with English teachers your social circle will be limited.

I enjoyed my time here in general, got a lot more money than I did in HK (at half the living costs), but there is only so much stuff you can spend it on. I end up saving it all.

Restaurants are a limited (the ones with English menus), expect circles, etc.

Been thinking of going back to HK for a while, but that might just be nostalgia ( loved HK, congestion, rudeness, shallowness, etc - but probably its all gone now and/or only the bad sides left) - but most likely for a stint in Europe end of this year but I will keep my apartment here.
    Elegiaque, Gatts and Ern like this.

Interesting mix of comments - good luck to all. Think our existence may be rather different to most posting here…..

We returned to UK primarily for family and education reasons, after 20+ years in HK.

V happy to be back for number of reasons and despite a calamitous government and no longer able to truly roam around Europe.

Lifestyle good - ok, so can’t hang out in LKF ‘til 3am with mates but at least the beer is great, and caught up with many long term (and new) friends.

Miss #58 bus to K-Town and excellent dim sum, MTR, husle’n’bustle, going to the beach, etc. But v green where we’ve settled, great village life (doggo loving loads of green space and no nasty canine diseases). Train station 8 minute drive - London 40 minute journey.

Helped move nonagenarian M&D into care with siblings (we all get on well), also the M-in-law, emptied and sold one parental home, about to do same with the other.

One child off to Uni, another to go next year.

Clearly there’s more to all this but by and large it’s worked out v well.

And now seeing more more HK friends either moving here or as their offspring start Uni here, to the delight of our children.

Last edited by jdf21st; 21-09-2021 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Typo
    shri, vmlinuz, bdw and 3 others like this.

I'm currently in Portugal. My god its good to get out of HK for a while. This is just a long break (longer than necessary due to the need to get out of uk for 22 days to be able to come back to 14 days quarantine). UK was ....wierd. No covid restrictions, but so many covid leftovers. Almost every restaurant only operating to bookings only due to lack of staff. Ditto hotels. Not enough mask wearing on public transport to make anyone comfortable. Heck of a lot of businesses seem to have gone bust. Portugal seems better - no evidence of mass lack of restaurant staff; nice weather; mask wearing indoors (even though they have higher vaccination rate than UK) so it feels safer (it is safer, much lower incidence of covid). All of this is making us really not want to come home. We will, for now, (flight bans permitting) but if HK does not do something sensible re covid after Xmas we will absolutely look for somewhere else to go.

Top listed right now, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand or Australia. Portugal is absolutely on the list too but the time zone is an issue. None of the first 4 appeal though due to covid restrictions over the last 18 months making us very nervous. So overall, while we want to leave HK, where to go is a huge issue.

shri, jdf21st, ndt and 6 others like this.

@HK_Katherine did you eventually go ahead with Golden/D7 visa or just there on visitor visa for short term?

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    I'm currently in Portugal. My god its good to get out of HK for a while. This is just a long break (longer than necessary due to the need to get out of uk for 22 days to be able to come back to 14 days quarantine). UK was ....wierd. No covid restrictions, but so many covid leftovers. Almost every restaurant only operating to bookings only due to lack of staff. Ditto hotels. Not enough mask wearing on public transport to make anyone comfortable. Heck of a lot of businesses seem to have gone bust. Portugal seems better - no evidence of mass lack of restaurant staff; nice weather; mask wearing indoors (even though they have higher vaccination rate than UK) so it feels safer (it is safer, much lower incidence of covid). All of this is making us really not want to come home. We will, for now, (flight bans permitting) but if HK does not do something sensible re covid after Xmas we will absolutely look for somewhere else to go.

Top listed right now, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand or Australia. Portugal is absolutely on the list too but the time zone is an issue. None of the first 4 appeal though due to covid restrictions over the last 18 months making us very nervous. So overall, while we want to leave HK, where to go is a huge issue.
    You seem to be very flexible. Retired or able to work 100% remotely?

In any case, Thailand has some decent programmes, at least compared to Hong Kong.

https://www.thaiembassy.com/travel-t...l-restrictions

That certainly is not the actual Thai embassy but information seems legit.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:

Enjoy Portugal ! I sure know we all do….
    drumbrake likes this.