Like Tree1045Likes

Has Hong Kong adopted the wrong COVID-19 strategy?

Page 14 of 80 FirstFirst ... 6 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 22 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauljoecoe:
    According to Aaron on the above Twitter thread, the person concerned tested positive on the 2nd day test and HK requires the UK (and all countries I assume) to inform them of positive tests. Subsequent lateral flow tests are negative and so was day 10 PCR which suggest either they had it in HK and then recovers or never had it at all.
    Don't know about the UK or Australia but I don't think the US would give a damn about HK's requests.
    Last edited by bigtooth81; 18-10-2021 at 01:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtooth81:
    Don't know about the UK or Australia but I don't think the US would give a damn about HK's requests.
    And they wonder why they struggle to bring people onboard their multilateral initiatives...

Quote Originally Posted by Peaky:
    So, what's the timeline for a patriotic reverse engineered mRNA vaccine to complete development and get rolled out to 1.4bn people? With some momentum across the rest of Asia setting out paths to opening up surely there will be a bit more pressure in the coming months to stop spouting the same old lines... maybe.
    This is the bit of the story that people seem to keep forgetting in order to make the “they want to chase out the expats” argument.

China has the least effective vaccines and limited research evidence on their performance. They are simply not in the same position as even other wealthy Asian countries.

HK is a risk to the mainland because we have more international links and 2/3 jabbed with a good vaccine so higher chance of being asymptomatic in the off chance carrying the virus.

Politics is a convenient cover for the lower efficacy of Chinese vaccines.
    Coolboy, Gatts, hongkong7 and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauljoecoe:
    HK requires the UK (and all countries I assume) to inform them of positive tests.
    What? How is that a requirement? If the UK doesn't, what action would the HK government follow up with? Send out an angry press release?
    Last edited by mucaari; 18-10-2021 at 01:16 PM.

To be fair, it makes sense that the UK or any country would report it. We are in this mess because countries chose to ignore it. Once the WHO declares this over, then its fair for that to change.

On a side note im interested to see how china opens up, and how the rest of the world treats it. Im no scientist, but 1 billion + with low levels of natural immunity would have to provide some incredible kindling for mutations. Hopefully we dont see any game changers, like we did with Delta.

merchantms likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Blowfish:
    On a side note im interested to see how china opens up, and how the rest of the world treats it. Im no scientist, but 1 billion + with low levels of natural immunity would have to provide some incredible kindling for mutations. Hopefully we dont see any game changers, like we did with Delta.
    You mean like India in the past 1.5 year?

Quote Originally Posted by RobRoy:
    You mean like India in the past 1.5 year?
    Definitely, but the Chinese will be alot more hands on. I'm interested to see how it goes. Demographic wise as well China has many more older people vs india. Plus the politics of it all. I struggle to see how they'll do it?

Quote Originally Posted by mucaari:
    What? How is that a requirement? If the UK doesn't, what action would the HK government follow up with? Send out an angry press release?
    I did state 'according to Aaron'. I do not know personally that is the case. Probably 'asks' would be a better word? I would suggest it is just normal co-operation between countries to minimise cross country infection.

Quote Originally Posted by mucaari:
    Send out an angry press release?
    Well that seem to be normal procedure nowadays when one country upsets another. Often on twitter rather than via press release.

Quote Originally Posted by Sage:
    Trust me, a much better coping strategy is just to opt out.

Don’t wear a mask, don’t download LHS app, don’t ever provide contact details.

It’s amazingly easy to do.
    I'd like to see you opt out of quarantine (if you travelled)
    Cornmeal and Flapster like this.

Page 14 of 80 FirstFirst ... 6 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 22 ... LastLast