Like Tree1087Likes

Has Hong Kong adopted the wrong COVID-19 strategy?

Closed Thread
Page 18 of 76 FirstFirst ... 10 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 26 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:
    If the Government go ahead with revised Covid requirements for aircrew I can see some of the long haulers pulling out. Not because they don’t want to retain the route but because flights are resuming in the rest of the world they just don’t have the idle resources to double up on flight crew and air stewards that they might have had a few weeks ago to perform a touch down, stay on the plane, change crew and fly out type operation.
    Or do the ICN technical stop as many of the China flights do.

Quote Originally Posted by qhank:
    Or do the ICN technical stop as many of the China flights do.
    i was speaking to a Cathay Pilot on the logistics. Remember for a long haul pilot flying hours is a factor. I would love to think common sense will prevail but I’ll be nervously flying to UK in December through Finnair. At least their customer service is second to none and they are One World partner so I’m guessing my worst case would be Cathay return (at FinnAir business class rate). I allowed myself a little luxury seeing as it is one rather than 3-4 trips per year which would be the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:
    My point is Mr Covid strategy ‘expert’ that if you think your actions are going to influence a government and its parent when bigger (and much more impactful) protests failed then you are very much mistaken. Life becomes so much more bearable when you look at the latest ridiculous announcements, laugh, and learn how to deal with them.

Travel? The vast majority of locals couldn’t give a flying fuck about international travel. . They’ll support the need for mainland travel first for family reasons and secondly because HK misses the spending HKD.

When push comes to shove look back at the last 20 months. Has HK had a full lockdown? Have people ever been limited to just going out for essential shopping. Is your life really impacted by the fact that bars shut at 2am rather than 24 hours? Can you deal with no public BBQ pits. Pretty much the worst we have had is 6pm dining in curfew and a run on essentials (and non-essentials) in early day panics. Compare that to 90 percent plus of first world countries dealings with Covid.

Oh and NOT ONE PERSON on here is fooled by your I don’t wear a mask or I won’t use LHS unless fake or burner phone bullshit. No one ever gets caught or fined? Wrong again.

My mask wearing is limited to when directly in town, any shop or inside places and public transport. I suspect you’re is to but you’re too conceited to admit the bullshit.
    I find people who comment that HK's internal restrctions mean we have a "normal life" here to be puzzling in the extreme. I would have previously attended numerous conferences, in person, as part of my work in a year (including some in HK /Macau). This last 2 years, nada. Similarly, business meetings/lunches/breakfasts .. nada. Mask wearing everywhere so that I cannot hear what people say, or be understood, and am drenched in sweat when I step outside.... this is NOT normal. I don't use BBQ pits but every time I walk past one (which is daily) it reminds me of the idiocy of the place. I miss my jacuzzi and the water jets in the pool. But possibly most importantly, the FEAR of testing/going to Penny Bay/ being incarcerated in hospital.... those have been a constant for so long... and while the risk is low, the impact is huge, NONE of this is normal. HK is just NOT normal. So while I agree that the border issue is a dead duck, I do think we have some hope of getting a few minor concessions if we keep reminding gov of their current idiocy.

Name:  covid last 2 weeks Nov 21.png
Views: 259
Size:  139.1 KB

With active cases in nearly every province China seems to be doing very well keeping these isolated clusters to have limited community spread.

When the boundary does open will HK'ers need to isolate if they return from a city with infections in the community?

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    I find people who comment that HK's internal restrctions mean we have a "normal life" here to be puzzling in the extreme. I would have previously attended numerous conferences, in person, as part of my work in a year (including some in HK /Macau). This last 2 years, nada. Similarly, business meetings/lunches/breakfasts .. nada. Mask wearing everywhere so that I cannot hear what people say, or be understood, and am drenched in sweat when I step outside.... this is NOT normal. I don't use BBQ pits but every time I walk past one (which is daily) it reminds me of the idiocy of the place. I miss my jacuzzi and the water jets in the pool. But possibly most importantly, the FEAR of testing/going to Penny Bay/ being incarcerated in hospital.... those have been a constant for so long... and while the risk is low, the impact is huge, NONE of this is normal. HK is just NOT normal. So while I agree that the border issue is a dead duck, I do think we have some hope of getting a few minor concessions if we keep reminding gov of their current idiocy.
    I get your point I really do AND I agree with it. However you cannot deny that our daily lives have not had the lockdown or other disruptions encountered by so many
    qhank and alexdown like this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Name:  covid last 2 weeks Nov 21.png
Views: 259
Size:  139.1 KB

With active cases in nearly every province China seems to be doing very well keeping these isolated clusters to have limited community spread.

When the boundary does open will HK'ers need to isolate if they return from a city with infections in the community?
    I'd assert that it's almost impossible for us to know how well China is preventing community spread (or not).

Fabrication is built into their very fabric.

The Wuhan playbook won't be enough to contain Delta... Feels that there's a fair chance China gets bounced out of zero covid in the next couple of months (just like Australia). Of course this all coincides nicely with some apparent progress on opening the border to Guangdong... or Singapore bubble 3.0 as it should be called

Sage, Tandy and HK_Katherine like this.

Original Post Deleted
    Melbourne has been the worlds most locked down city, with 262 days of lockdown on 6 separate occasions since March 2020. Buenos Aires comes in second with 234 days straight.
    East_coast likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    Melbourne has been the worlds most locked down city, with 262 days of lockdown on 6 separate occasions since March 2020. Buenos Aires comes in second with 234 days straight.
    I would challenge that with Manila. Depends how they are defining lockdown. Kids under 18 have today been released from lockdown since March 2020.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I would challenge that with Manila. Depends how they are defining lockdown. Kids under 18 have today been released from lockdown since March 2020.
    How about 139 days straight of curfew (aka Marshall Law)?

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...w-in-late-may/
    ByeByeEngland likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 18 of 76 FirstFirst ... 10 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 26 ... LastLast