Like Tree1087Likes

Has Hong Kong adopted the wrong COVID-19 strategy?

Closed Thread
Page 29 of 76 FirstFirst ... 21 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 37 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by qhank:
    People have already been killed by fire in quarantine hotels, and they weren't even locked in. Just the mere fact of not being allowed out was enough to keep them in their rooms:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/02/w...otel-fire.html
    This is where blindly following the rules can get you.

I reckon in HK way more would end up staying in the same circumstances.

'Lemmings' to a tee.
    qhank likes this.

Is it optional in China to get vaccinated or use their equivalent app? I doubt it.

HK appears to be the only place in the world trying to both pursue zero COVID but also refuse to force its people to do what is necessary.

Good to see them leading by example (and no they were walking slowly not on any job)
    Plutark likes this.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/22...fore-reopening

80% vaccination rate before even reopening to China? Are they trying to pretend that HK is in control of this decision now?

And will we see any policies that actually try to boost this vaccination rate?

Will they open to the rest of the world if the elderly vaccination rate is still at a world beating shameful rate of 17% even if they achieve 80% by vaccinating everyone else?

If we are lucky this new variant will get past quarantine and we will have one more wave. It is the only way to persuade people to vaccinate.

I was speaking to one colleague yesterday. A teacher. Highly intelligent. He had only just got vaccinated. The only thing that persuaded him it wasn't dangerous was his family doing it first. Not the several billion doses given worldwide. He had made no effort to read the news from outside HK and told me he believed that when people get vaccinated here with Pfizer the nurse switches the needle at the moment to give you Sinovac. It was a level of paranoia and refusal to look outside HK news sources that I could not believe. But he was serious.

I don't think anything other than legal measures or a new wave will get more people to vaccinate here now.

Quote Originally Posted by njstone9:
    https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/22...fore-reopening

80% vaccination rate before even reopening to China?
    The Standard, which is quoted in the article, talks about 80%-90% before reopening the international border. It's from an interview with Bernard Chan.

The first sentence of the article says mainland China.

Quote Originally Posted by ramelec:
    Good god Lhatoo & Lam in one video, how much propaganda can one take.

https://twitter.com/HKBigLychee/stat...SpyDk5caQ&s=19

310 posts ago and probably actually before Delta, when the West was embarking on a massive gamble with unproven vaccines and "living with the virus", the question in this thread - "Has Hong Kong adopted the wrong COVID-19 strategy?" - might have made a little bit of sense. Back then, only a handful of my friends back home had actually contracted Covid (those that had also stood out as those with the less hygienic practices).

By now, with protection wearing off and a second vaccine-busting mutant strain arising, the case seems basically closed. Almost everyone I know back home has now had it (all double vaccinated) with many describing a horrible week of life lost and God knows what 'ground glass lung capacity damage' and 'long covid' await them.

Even the China-hater brigade on here who make it their mission to shit on any piece of Hong Kong policy should recognise that the quarantine here, while indeed very heavy-handed, has been a stellar success.

james_hklocal likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 29 of 76 FirstFirst ... 21 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 37 ... LastLast