Like Tree1087Likes

Has Hong Kong adopted the wrong COVID-19 strategy?

Page 4 of 81 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by GentleGeorge:
    Very straightforward.

You know where the airport is.
    Actually kinda forgotten, it's been almost 2 wasted years in this mismanaged hamster wheel.

Good on the colonial rulers for building such a great piece of infrastructure, 0/10 to the new dictators for rendering it obsolete.

Just caught up on Aaron's summary of Singapore's press conference today.

My favourite bit: “since C-19 is manageable, need to simplify the system - no more flow charts”

Singapore getting on with it is the only faint hope and pressure point I think we have left for sensible decision making here in the next 12-18 months.

Sage, alexdown, AsianXpat0 and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hannah01:
    The whole WORLD GOT IT WRONG at one or the other point amidst the ongoing battle against the pandemic. So, HK can't be an exception.

It's all trial and error approach because the virus we confront is new; mistakes are bound to happen. So, I no longer keep poking at the faults -- the wrong strategies-- instead, I just stay optimistic that we will be free of this pandemic soon.

That "soon" maybe decades later, though. Or, just a year away from now on. Who knows.

I’m sorry, but a big part of having “good management” is to look at all involved stakeholders and human beings. HK got it right at the beginning social distancing, mask up, contact tracing, quarantine. This was better than most countries. And it was warranted cause no one knew how long big the problem would get, and how long it’d take.

now, we are almost 2 years in. Yet, handling of arrival passengers is stricter than it ever was, and it looks like it might even get stricter. Yet, there is no wave in HK, and not convincing truth that the current imported cases are an issue and this handling gets anywhere. Same with other social distancing and mask rules. It’s pretty clear that outdoors are not a main factor of spread. Or surfaces. Yet wearing masks every where is a requirement. Outdoor bbq sites or camping sites are still closed.
    At the same time, other countries are finding strategies forward. Singapore is essentially saying that they need to highlight business, it’s hub status but also people’s mental well-being. This is the way forward: not treating Covid as the only subject of politics. But HK does exactly that. COVID is everything that matters. And that is the big problem! It should not be about Covid cases anymore, it’s about having your society as safe as possible while getting back to a normal life. And HK just does not think this way.

A good strategy now is how to make sure people’s well-being, and economic factors such as travel opportunities are being supported while keeping COVID under control. Some places in Europe have reasonable success with this, as probably does Singapore.
    Sage, Gatts, drumbrake and 5 others like this.

Zero Covid cases

[COLOR=#465663][FONT=Karla]1. North Korea

Quote Originally Posted by mucaari:
    I’m sorry, but a big part of having “good management” is to look at all involved stakeholders and human beings. HK got it right at the beginning social distancing, mask up, contact tracing, quarantine. This was better than most countries. And it was warranted cause no one knew how long big the problem would get, and how long it’d take.

now, we are almost 2 years in. Yet, handling of arrival passengers is stricter than it ever was, and it looks like it might even get stricter. Yet, there is no wave in HK, and not convincing truth that the current imported cases are an issue and this handling gets anywhere. Same with other social distancing and mask rules. It’s pretty clear that outdoors are not a main factor of spread. Or surfaces. Yet wearing masks every where is a requirement. Outdoor bbq sites or camping sites are still closed.
    At the same time, other countries are finding strategies forward. Singapore is essentially saying that they need to highlight business, it’s hub status but also people’s mental well-being. This is the way forward: not treating Covid as the only subject of politics. But HK does exactly that. COVID is everything that matters. And that is the big problem! It should not be about Covid cases anymore, it’s about having your society as safe as possible while getting back to a normal life. And HK just does not think this way.

A good strategy now is how to make sure people’s well-being, and economic factors such as travel opportunities are being supported while keeping COVID under control. Some places in Europe have reasonable success with this, as probably does Singapore.
    Interesting you say COVID is the only political issue being pushed here. I was surprised that Carrie barely mentioned it in her policy speech.

Their two main failures to me are

1. Vaccination of the elderly
    2. Lack of any sort of timeline or metrics (eg group A country is based on x cases/thousand, no masks when zero local cases for X days) making it impossible to plan for businesses let alone regular people.

Quote Originally Posted by Sage:
    You should listen to Peaky, he knows this subject better than you and he's patient enough to explain what you get wrong.

I don't suffer fools gladly unfortunately.

Covid cases (and deaths) are continuing to fall globally (as they have for the last 2 months) and large swathes of the world that were hit harder in the past have relatively high levels of immunity. Many countries in the 1st world are now effectively back to normal, have declared covid endemic and are living with it. Many in the 3rd world had a minimal shift from normality to begin with.

On that basis.

Pretty straightforward really.

Can't answer my questions and still persists on. Thank God, you're not a WHO chief.

You go on insisting with your unfounded "thesis" that exhibits nothing more than foolery. Aye, Sir. That's it.

@Coolboy, I tried my best not to argue back but see. Outta here!
    Coolboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mucaari:

You couldn't be more wrong regarding Singapore. Have you researched what you wrote at all? Singapore is a nightmare as far as people's well being & mental health goes.

Please educate yourself:.

https://www.moh.gov.sg/covid-19-phase-advisory

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.b...a-58580337.amp
    alexdown and Baklava like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hongkongmusic:
    You couldn't be more wrong regarding Singapore. Have you researched what you wrote at all? Singapore is a nightmare as far as people's well being & mental health goes.

Please educate yourself:.

https://www.moh.gov.sg/covid-19-phase-advisory

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.b...a-58580337.amp
    Imho restrictions have a bigger effect in Singapore with regards to mental health effects etc, because there they are enforced - if not by police, at least by peer pressure.

In HK nobody cares, so the restrictions turn out to be mostly on paper

Quote Originally Posted by alexdown:
    Imho restrictions have a bigger effect in Singapore with regards to mental health effects etc, because there they are enforced - if not by police, at least by peer pressure.

In HK nobody cares, so the restrictions turn out to be mostly on paper
    Yes.

Scroll down a bit and you'll see where one can report people to the government for 'violations' (with photos). It's disgusting.

https://www.gov.sg/article/covid-19-resources

One Service App.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I am still waiting on his list of countries that have declared the pandemic over. It must be a very long list by the time it is taking.
    Spent time in UK, Spain, Portugal and Finland in the last 6 weeks. (now paying for it in covid prison). The pandemic is pretty much over in those countries. Masks are work in some places (Finland got rid of most of it's mask rules; so did the UK; Portugal still has indoor rules). Border controls are minimal (Spain needed a form; Portugal we just drove through with zero; FInland absolutely zero even by plane). Yes, some minor restrictions remain but you would not really notice them - life is normal in Europe. Coming back to HK was SO stark in terms of contrast. It's hard to actual put across how different. And so unncessary. Yes, with our appalling vaccine failure in HK we have to keep some border restrictions. But 5-7 days (with a few extra tests) for vaccinated individuals would work fine and still keep Covid low (not absolute zero, but low) in the community. Pair that with indoor masks and even the idiotic oldies would be mostly safe.

Its absolutely clear to me that our border policy has zero to do with health and everything to do with China's desire to look inwards, get rid of external influences (ie its own people going abroad and expats coming in), punish HK for 2019 and basically turn it into a mainland city with mainlanders doing the jobs done by expats in HK now. There is NO other explanation for the suite of measures adopted. None. Anyone who thinks this is just "over caution" is not reading the tea-leaves. This is policy. HK is not doomed; it's just going to evolve again into something new, which objectively will be a place many expats will neither recognise nor with to leave. Locals and expats who do not get out now will have to conform or live in repression. The China-lovers on this forum may rejoice, but for anyone who values freedom, individuality or free expression, it's the end.

Page 4 of 81 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast