Like Tree1087Likes

Has Hong Kong adopted the wrong COVID-19 strategy?

Closed Thread
Page 41 of 76 FirstFirst ... 33 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 49 ... LastLast

And my Singaporean friends (errr friends living in Singapore) have been enjoying various trips in the last month.

Remember the ROW?

Name:  Banff.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  426.2 KB

mrgoodkat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by njstone9:
    Yet they have very few deaths and not that many daily cases. The health system is not under strain at present. Regarding Omicron, they will need to wait and see how their vaccinated population deal with it.
    In order to control the Delta wave in October, Singapore had to impose a dining group limit of 2:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...s-growth-slows

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Several have said Sinovac is ineffective. As several said that people were dropping dead from taking it, but strangely only in Hong Kong and strangely only for a few weeks.

The study in Chile linked to earlier by njstone showed from.memory something like 85% effectiveness against severe illness or death. So for every 1000 who would have been severely ill or died, 850 would just have mild illness. But hey let's not use that, let them suffer and die because Easty doesn't like China. It has nothing to do with science and all to do with politics. Everybody is dumping their AZ because it is less effective and has potential (tiny) clotting risks, but I have never once seen you attack AZ. If it was a Chinese vaccine.....

I would make the one that is most profitable which seems to be Pfizer.

How are the countries using Sinovac doing? As usual you prefer to ask not answer.
    Astra Zeneca is being dropped and should be by many developed countries who have the distribution capabilities for cold distribution. It is being kept as a none new tech option in some countries. If AZ was being artificially forced (dumped) on the market I would be complaining about this approach. AZ does not have a powerful state backing.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ticipants-told

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Astra Zeneca is being dropped and should be by many developed countries who have the distribution capabilities for cold distribution. It is being kept as a none new tech option in some countries. If AZ was being artificially forced (dumped) on the market I would be complaining about this approach. AZ does not have a powerful state backing.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ticipants-told
    UK just donated 5 million AZ to the Philippines. Dumped or donated? Either way gratefully received. AZ is effective and the clotting fear is exaggerated.
    AsianXpat0 likes this.

I read that clotting was actually *less* of a risk for the vaccinated...

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    UK just donated 5 million AZ to the Philippines. Dumped or donated? Either way gratefully received. AZ is effective and the clotting fear is exaggerated.
    Hard to see this as 'dumping' as state subsides and government politics are not the prime drivers. AZ has been used widely and manufactured in many counties rather than what appears a targeted political gift. It is even manufactured in China and possibly due to be made in Thailand if demand holds up. It may not.

Name:  _122217811_optimised-vaccines_by_country_14dec-nc.png
Views: 291
Size:  154.4 KB

Manufacturing locations
    Name:  vaccine production.png
Views: 294
Size:  180.0 KB

They are switching to Pfizer and other vaccines. Chile already demonstrated that Sinovac is inadequate. Other middle eastern states stopped using it around the same time.

For example https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/19/uae-...y-worries.html
    I am completely sure that the vast majority of Chinese would rather have a second rate vaccine alongside a world-beating containment policy.

I am completely sure that the vast majority of the West would rather have a world-beating vaccine alongside a lackadaisical containment policy.

To each the government that she deserves.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

I'm not sure in 10 years the majority of Chinese will be happy never being able to travel outside their own country again, still facing constant lockdowns and travel bans, while the rest of the world has long since gone back to normal.

Such an irony though: this focus on the CCP being suddenly interested in protecting human life at all costs. Quite the turn around from the time when Mao said that half of China may well have to die.

mrgoodkat likes this.

We’ve said it enough times before. Every time you think they can’t outdo themselves they come up with this utter gem. Let’s stick them in govt quarantine then move them all round again FOUR days later.

I particularly enjoyed this extract ‘ In order to better utilise PBQC, the highest-standard quarantine facility’

https://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/...1122000964.htm

https://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/202112/20/P2021122000964.htm

I'm not sure in 10 years the majority of Chinese will be happy never being able to travel outside their own country again, still facing constant lockdowns and travel bans, while the rest of the world has long since gone back to normal.
    Have you been to China?

It is the size of Europe and has much more geographic diversity - one could very happily send a lifetime travelling it

Closed Thread
Page 41 of 76 FirstFirst ... 33 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 49 ... LastLast