Like Tree1045Likes

Has Hong Kong adopted the wrong COVID-19 strategy?

Page 46 of 80 FirstFirst ... 38 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 54 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tandy:
    While earlier notice would have probably helped, I blame the US govt that was planning and funding the research more than the country that covered it up at the beginning. None of this would have happened if the US hadn't been intentionally doing gain of function type research there (because it was illegal in the states)--something they're still trying desperately to cover and not talk about by calling it debunked conspiracy talk, even though we now have overwhelming evidence NIH was doing exactly that.

I guess in short there's lots of blame to go around, but there's a reason this kind of research is illegal (and there's a reason no one in the US is very interested in looking closer at the blame). Ultimately blame gets us no where but understanding how to not repeat it is priceless.
    No one in the USA is interested in looking?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...rigins-beijing

Quote Originally Posted by GentleGeorge:
    87% of Chinese don't have passports, so these jet-setters are definitely not the "middle" classes
    Yes, China is still 20 years behind countries like the US but they are catching up very quickly. The USA, 20 years ago, had 90% of the population without a passport, now it is 60%. I have travelled extensively in China and it is for the most part…. Utter horrible… either tourist traps like “authentic villages” or hordes and hordes of people trying to get a glimpse of “nature”.

The contribution of Chinese travellers in global tourism ranked first in the world in 2019 when Chinese tourists spent about 250 Billion USD while traveling abroad. So yeah only 13% maybe has a passport but boy … do they love to travel and spent spent spent. Comparing Chinese domestic travel with overseas travel is hmmm ….. not comparable.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    Not debating your main point, just want to point out that most kind of cancers are not infectious from one person to the next like a viral pathogen (i.e. Covid). Cancer can be caused by prolonged exposure to certain external environmental contaminants (i.e. second hand smoking), but that isn't transmitted like a virus or bacteria.

Yes, in some cases cancer can be caused through a viral vector, like certain sexually transmitted HPV viruses. In a minority of cases, if the immune system for whatever reason cannot eliminate the sexually transmitted HPV, then there is a risk the HPV can cause cervical cancer in women. Even so, that isn't the same process of transmission by viral and bacteria diseases.
    The point is that billions have been spent protecting a small proportion of the population that is actually in danger from covid but that money could have been invested in cancer research, for example.

Vaccines are here. Countries around the world are making vaccines more or less mandatory step by step yet here we are vulnerable still and the ignorant are being pandered to and costing all of us as a result.
    Tandy and Sage like this.

I think it will decrease? And I think it is a sacrifice that they are willing to make? I think this is the point I have been banging on about in my last five posts?
    I don't think it has been openly discussed - at all.

Quote Originally Posted by njstone9:
    The point is that billions have been spent protecting a small proportion of the population that is actually in danger from covid but that money could have been invested in cancer research, for example.

Vaccines are here. Countries around the world are making vaccines more or less mandatory step by step yet here we are vulnerable still and the ignorant are being pandered to and costing all of us as a result.
    True. Although its important not to lump different illnesses together, Viral diseases like Covid is not the same as Cancer. Best to be clear here.
    HKFella likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by njstone9:
    No one in the USA is interested in looking?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...rigins-beijing
    Yes, no one with any real power. That article is over 6 months old, and was when he created a 90 day committee. Almost textbook example of how to look like you’re doing something while also burying it.

Spoiler—the committee came back in 90 days with “we don’t know” and the whole thing was forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    I don't think it has been openly discussed - at all.
    Hmmm I think there is plenty of open discussion happening - you are just not tuning in to it

Hmmm I think there is plenty of open discussion happening - you are just not tuning in to it
    Some links please to open discussion within China.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Some links please to open discussion within China.
    Very drole.

But in this case it is easy. Go and read *literally any* Chinese language conversation (from there or from HK, as you prefer) about virus control. Report back on your findings.

Page 46 of 80 FirstFirst ... 38 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 54 ... LastLast