Like Tree1087Likes

Has Hong Kong adopted the wrong COVID-19 strategy?

Closed Thread
Page 51 of 76 FirstFirst ... 43 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 59 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeky Kiwi:
    For Carrie's sake, 175 new cases = critical.

Wait till they get 1.75 million. Or 10.75 million. Or 100 million.
    In the US, they're super happy on a day when there are "only" 175 DEATHS. Hasn't been that "low" for quite a while (this past summer...).
    Cheeky Kiwi likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AsianXpat0:
    Between Zhong Nanshan, Guan Yi, and YKY, isn’t the message that it is unavoidable?
    On current evidence and despite the wishes of half this forum it seems, up until now they are managing to avoid quite successfully
    NateM likes this.

Not wishing them ill, although I do wish HK had its own different/separate policy, but the point is they may be tested and eventually found wanting. Fact that they chose a different gamble shouldn’t really disguise it is a gamble. The burden of “lifting” X million out of poverty has its flip side.

Apparently there was an election recently where the good guys won by a landslide with only a fraction of the vote - go figure!

And lo, now that the otherwise useless old-tricks have served their purpose, the duck-face-twat who has done nothing buy lie for his handlers for the last 2 years, is all of a sudden telling the truth for his handlers.

And so we begin a new policy shift.

Good news I guess.

@ByeByeEngland, note, this has nothing to with either logic or covid.

Welcome to China.

Name:  Duck Face.jpeg
Views: 376
Size:  52.7 KB

Original Post Deleted

So you believe mainland China is a covid-ridden cess pit like most of the rest of the world?

The facts just don't bear it out I'm afraid. You are removed from reality.

Back in Toronto now - after 10 1/2 years in HK

Coolboy stand

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    True. Although its important not to lump different illnesses together, Viral diseases like Covid is not the same as Cancer. Best to be clear here.
    I couldn't agree more! Enough expat sceptics on this very forum were dissing the attention being given daily to SARS with a grim Margaret Chan daily on TV displaying stats of infections, deaths, and active cases etc. Scepticism was illustrated by contrasting it with deaths by car accidents etc. claiming undue attention was being given to SARS with sudden quarantine and other scary measures. But the point missed, especially by that overeducated-sounding Brit expat up above all the dust who was posting away against the motion every day, I remember - was that it was an unprecedented infectious and transmissible disease which saw the frontline doctors and nurses (as far away as Toronto too, remember the zero patient doctor from across the border sneezing in the lift in Metropolitan now Metropark Mongkok?) - suddenly falling sick and dropping dead like flies. That does not happen with car accidents or cancer, or even HIV! And the infections were growing exponentially. Well you had to step in and pay hard attention otherwise - you didn't want the numbers to grow into matching those of car accidents in double-quick time, did you? Same with the Wuhan virus and its variants with the cancer comparison this time. There have been costs and maybe overreaction given the new disease has had a run of two years and people have had time to learn something about it and do modelling and stuff, and the authorities have been doing right or wrong (in hindsight) the world over. But please don't compare it with diseases that have nothing in common with one still with exponential transmission potential. At the same time, I think HK govt is overreacting irrationally under pressure from China which is forcing their zero-Covid strategy on its possesions. Yes there can be debate about the impact of lockdowns etc but I think it is premature to start downplaying the importance of dealing seriously with the pandemic. One hopes omicron will morph into the kind of benign thing that finished off the Spanish Flu, but who can be sure this is the one yet?

(PS writing this from the relative 'safety' (?) of low-density Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario near the Falls; I escaped HK while on a short trip in the nick of time in late Jan 2020 - the AI flight (self wearing mask by then) to Delhi was full of ex-China travellers and everyone including "OCI" self was hearded to the foreigners' section for 4 hours of health questionnaire, queue management and stuff. I was suprised China folks were still rushing to travel despite this being the airport scene in Delhi for the last 4 days; I was merely fleeing back to my home at the time).
    Coolboy likes this.

If you think we're dodging a bullet with covid by isolating, I have a question for you: Did the native Americans "dodge" smallpox?

Quote Originally Posted by Tandy:
    If you think we're dodging a bullet with covid by isolating, I have a question for you: Did the native Americans "dodge" smallpox?
    Smallpox is just a mild cold, it was the vaccine that killed them.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    Not exactly the kind of vaccine mandate I was thinking of, but I suppose this is better than nothing.

The eateries may fret about the government imposing more onerous dining out requirements and how it will impact them...after they just started to get used to some semblance of normalacy. But if this step finally forces the unvaccinated to get the vaccine, it will be worth it?
    https://www.reuters.com/business/hea...19-2021-12-11/

https://www.livemint.com/politics/ne...777934742.html

No.

Quote Originally Posted by GentleGeorge:
    So you believe mainland China is a covid-ridden cess pit like most of the rest of the world?
    Proposing an extreme and clearly false position usually indicates.....
    ReleaseZeKraken likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 51 of 76 FirstFirst ... 43 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 59 ... LastLast