Like Tree1045Likes

Has Hong Kong adopted the wrong COVID-19 strategy?

Page 67 of 80 FirstFirst ... 59 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 75 ... LastLast

Deep and insightful analysis of the Zero Covid strategy:

https://thediplomat.com/2022/02/chin...eeper-meaning/

AsianXpat0 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AsianXpat0:
    https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/compone...5-20220225.htm

Hey guys, good news about vaccination rates, vaccine passes and dynamic zero!
    that's a goo projection
    but for now...
    https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s?__biz=MzU...Zr&wx_header=3

Can we please just say YES and close this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by AsianXpat0:
    Quarantine-free mainland travel may start mid-year

Hey guys, good news about vaccination rates, vaccine passes and dynamic zero!
    Mid year 2022?

I believe things only when I see them here and now.

Nothing positive will happen till China acknowledges that Covid is here to stay, same as influenza and traffic accidents.

Fuck me. Even the speedboats to SK beaches have fallen victim to the restrictions

Can offenders be prosecuted for not using LHS in a Supermarket? I think not if vaccine cert produced on demand. This kind of bullshit doesn’t help matters

Name:  73632CE4-2C81-45EA-BF17-DA774E8AD982.jpeg
Views: 186
Size:  83.2 KB

So Nip and Lam want to get the total population of HKG, 3 times, standing gathered in queues shoulder to shoulder cross infecting then testing at the peak of the 5th wave. You really cannot make this shit up for blatant incompetence.
    “[With] our mathematical model, which has so far tracked the actual empirical trajectory very well, unfortunately, we predict that the fifth wave will peak somewhere between the first and the second week of March,” said Gabriel Leung, the University of Hong Kong’s medical school dean. The epidemic is expected to decline only in April, he said.
    https://hongkongfp.com/2022/02/24/co...line-in-april/

Does anyone have theories as to what is actually going on? I’m really struggling with how CE can make this announcement and then immediately have education and medical experts, including some government advisers, pick it apart. There is no explanation of how to reduce risk of infection from queuing for tests, no explanation on how they will move, house, and feed hundreds of thousands of people, etc.

At the moment the obvious ones seem to be:

1. Government is incompetent and thinks this is a reasonable strategy to get the outbreak under control

2. “Living with Covid” / herd immunity strategy in practice but can’t admit to it publicly

3. Beijing using Dynamic Zero as a test of loyalty for HK government and does not know or care if it will work

What is happening?

Baklava, nickvv and HK_Katherine like this.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    Does anyone have theories as to what is actually going on? I’m really struggling with how CE can make this announcement and then immediately have education and medical experts, including some government advisers, pick it apart. There is no explanation of how to reduce risk of infection from queuing for tests, no explanation on how they will move, house, and feed hundreds of thousands of people, etc.

At the moment the obvious ones seem to be:

1. Government is incompetent and thinks this is a reasonable strategy to get the outbreak under control

2. “Living with Covid” / herd immunity strategy in practice but can’t admit to it publicly

3. Beijing using Dynamic Zero as a test of loyalty for HK government and does not know or care if it will work

What is happening?
    My guess:

4. Beijing wants to produce a story of how Chinese help and the Chinese approach brought this wave under control. Therefore it does not matter that the current approach only makes it worse. They want to take strong action at the peak of the wave to claim victory later. We can hope they will open up after this 'victory', but it might as well take a few more waves.

All 4 listed above, but with 2 only a transitory phase in their minds. Whether cases actually reach zero is independent of continuing the measures for the foreseeable future until decided otherwise.

Did futility and massive suffering stop the Great Leap Forward or Cultural Revolution? Not till officials said so it seems.

hullexile and Baklava like this.

Page 67 of 80 FirstFirst ... 59 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 75 ... LastLast