Like Tree49Likes

HK Grads told to pursue career opportunities in the Greater Bay Area ~HK$6.8K

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    You can study anywhere in the world.. After which you have to get a work visa. Current economic and political problems make it very difficult to get work visas for undergrads.. Unless it is a special top tier degree in STEM.
    It's fairly simple for anyone studying in Australia to then get a 2-4 year "Graduate visa" after completing their studies, no company sponsorship required, to remain and try to find a job and settle down in Aus. But for HK and BNO holders, it is even better, they have been singled out for special "5 year visas" which then lead directly to permanent residency after that.

Name:  Study.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  23.6 KB

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visa...y-graduate-485
    Coolboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Many middle class aren't restricted to a HK passport. They do have choices and schemes are better now for BNO's to get a passport for their kids future.
    Airport or Cross border rail.. Their choice I guess.

I don't think these people are accounted for by the policy making establishment.

Also, for BNO dont you need to have been registered or applied for it by 1 July 1997 (ie before the handover)? If you're a current uni student or recent graduate I guess you wont have BNO status since you'll have been born post-handover?

Or do HK-born children of BNO holders also get BNO?

Airport or Cross border rail.. Their choice I guess.

I don't think these people are accounted for by the policy making establishment.
    I hope you are wrong. These people are the rump of HK's economy.

I hope I am wrong too... I sincerely do.

May be a bit cynical at the moment about all these policy moves.

Salary/Career growth fantasy aside, factor in how well HK grads would be welcome in great motherland considering animosity shown here towards patriots in recent years and how HK kids have been portrayed there in the media since 2019..

You can study anywhere in the world.. After which you have to get a work visa. Current economic and political problems make it very difficult to get work visas for undergrads.. Unless it is a special top tier degree in STEM.

If you want more than what Guangzhou offers.. Learn how to say 'would you like French fries with that' at min wage. Or become a bar bender or pick up some vocation trade?

I still don't get the point you are trying to make.
    If you study an undergraduate course in the UK you can stay to look for work for 2-3 years afterwards with no visa sponsor required. I think schemes like this are fairly common for graduating international students, as countries want to encourage the talent they've just trained to stay in the country.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/g...on-1-july-2021
    shri likes this.

Actually, the more I read into this topic the more ridiculous I find it.

Selling the propaganda that working in GBA has lots of opportunities without concrete supporting facts is just bogus.

Also selling the pitch that doors will close for Fresh grads if they do not take the opportunity within a reasonable time.

Feels like HK gov is selling their 'troublesome' demographic to the mainland like domestic helpers. The pay is actually about the same as an HK domestic helper without housing or food allowance. Meaning the net savings might be actually less than a DH.

East_coast, shri, Coolboy and 1 others like this.

Its just so sad to see Hong Kong reduced to this. Youth have to take jobs at local Mainland salaries to be "competitive". No wonder people are finding any way to exit.

shri, Gatts, Coolboy and 1 others like this.

Not too long ago the UK under May reduced the time for conversion to only 4 months, basically telling all international students to f off from the UK after they have studied there. I was one of the people affected when I studied my masters then. Still salty about it till now

Coolboy likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast