Like Tree68Likes

Refused boarding without an express PCR test at airport

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

I was saying this because that is as official as it gets for a country that only has French and Arabic as internationally recognized official languages.

Anyway we are getting off topic. The question is what can be done given that CHP didnot reject the test ?

Quote Originally Posted by macNcheese:
    I tried to pass the HK CHP check with my moroccan test and the official list coming from the website and they accepted it. Since they are the authority that set these rules in the first place shouldn't the airline not only follow what they say but also respect what they themselves state on their website ( documentary proof can be printed from an official website...Morocco's health ministry's website will only have french as an official language that's close enough to english)
    You can argue all you like, and your point might be valid, but it clearly states on their requirements and on the checklist of requirements before travel that it must be in English or Chinese. You don't have a leg to stand on I am afraid.
    chuckster007 and alexdown like this.

There are French here on Geoexpat that can’t even tell the difference between French and Latin. So the airline, as others have mentioned, is right.

How much was the test in Frankfurt?

The bigger issue for me is whether you had a print-out of that additional document in translated French or whether you expected them to read the website on your phone?

I'm guessing the latter.

So that's likely two areas you failed on.

My first course of action would have been to get that printout, before you pushed further on them accepting the test.

p.s welcome to HK - it's not what it used to be.

hongkong7 likes this.

I had the list printed out but they didn't even want to check the website they said it's either the airport test or no check in.

I showed my test result (in English) and the lab list ( as it is on the website) to the CHP and they accepted it.

Basically had they accepted my moroccan test it would have been fine (once again I repeat that the test was made in English, the lab deals with people who travel so they issue tests in English but the official document is a list with all lab names and it can't be in English because this Morocco not the UK and the web page in English has a link to that document) .

I was made to pay for a test I never needed in the first place.

I had the list printed out but they didn't even want to check the website they said it's either the airport test or no check in.

I showed my test result (in English) and the lab list ( as it is on the website) to the CHP and they accepted it.

Basically had they accepted my moroccan test it would have been fine (once again I repeat that the test was made in English, the lab deals with people who travel so they issue tests in English but the official document is a list with all lab names and it can't be in English because this Morocco not the UK and the web page in English has a link to that document) .

I was made to pay for a test I never needed in the first place.
    Ah sorry I misread that. I thought it was the lab result, not list, in English. Apologies.

The site is in French but the page can be translated to English quite accurately as in above image.

The list contains french names because the lab names are either in French or Arabic (2 of the official languages of Morocco).

But Cathay didn't even want to hear this...the process was expedited and they just refused (staff was also rude in not wanting to even look at the website and perform due process).
    What part of ENGLISH are you failing to understand here?

Again, the point is not whether or not CHP will accept the document - it's whether the airline are confident that CHP will accept it, and since it clearly didn't follow the letter of the law, the airline were 'correct' in rejecting it. Nothing you can do.

shri, emx, hullexile and 3 others like this.

Agree with vmlinuz the airlines get a lot more pain than the chp or immd officials - some of whom cannot even be bothered to read or speak English.

What matters is you got through and have a hopefully long and positive stay in HK.

P.S. I suspect air France would behave the same way if I walked up with an official document in Hindi even though Google translate shows its official. These guys have to take the path of least resistance and the least punitive result to let you board.

What part of English is not an official language don't you understand. It seems to me that your understanding is as obtuse as Cathay's . But I get where you coming from..they write get an official document that can be from a printed web page if the country in question never publishes health related announcements in English you are basically screwed and have to travel to do your PCR to cater to Cathay's view of the world and yours as evidenced by your not so helpful comments.

Anybody with some sense can read a google translated official webpage and can click to download the list and see that the lab that performed the PCR test and issued a result in English is on that official list . They just didn't want to bother and do this.

My question is...once again can I claim something here seeing how Hong Kong CHP authorities accepted the moroccan test result with the lab list ( I never used the german test except for boarding) ?