Like Tree244Likes

Hong Kong sticks to strict quarantine regime even as region starts to open

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by alexdown:
    I don't think they have problems with contact tracing, if it's done by a democratically elected government.
    If that’s true they’re pretty stupid, unless they are citizens of that country themselves. Singapore in particular doesn’t think twice about deporting visa holders for breaking Covid social distancing rules. And China used its vaccines to get deals with a few Eastern European governments on certain political issues in the early days of Covid.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    Singapore in particular doesn’t think twice about deporting visa holders for breaking Covid social distancing rules.
    But that won't matter won't it? Since my comment was to a post about hkers going for leisure trips abroad..unless you mean visitors/tourist visa.

My point was that "ppl who refuse vaccine and write down their contact on paper rather than using leavehomesafe" may not have the same attitude towards vaccination and/or contact tracing if done to them, say, in Europe (as residents) or during a holiday. Not that it's an indication that they won't in fact like to travel.
    Last edited by alexdown; 25-10-2021 at 01:07 PM.

Original Post Deleted
    Like Carrie Lam has been quoted in that article. HK is important but the mainland is more important.
    mucaari likes this.

Yes, which effectively is like the government openly saying they are purposely running HK into the ground.
    And large swaths of the local population don't give a collective fuck ... because they can yum cha and send group selfies to their cousins in Singapore.

Original Post Deleted
    The problem with this solution is that the HK government has almost no incentive to do it.

If they do it and shit kicks off in even the smallest way, old people die and the media starts talking about us doing a Singapore, they look stupid to both the local population AND Beijing. Even a few local cases and deaths would probably trigger this.

If it does it and it somehow works out absolutely perfectly, a few foreigners will be a bit happier, but will still find other things to moan about.
    merchantms, freeier and Corrib like this.

Just waiting for the marathon yesterday to trigger something.

Quote Originally Posted by GentleGeorge:
    The problem with this solution is that the HK government has almost no incentive to do it.

If they do it and shit kicks off in even the smallest way, old people die and the media starts talking about us doing a Singapore, they look stupid to both the local population AND Beijing. Even a few local cases and deaths would probably trigger this.

If it does it and it somehow works out absolutely perfectly, a few foreigners will be a bit happier, but will still find other things to moan about.
    When people are still using crumpled tissue to press the lift buttons, not sure how anyone thinks this city is going to cope with “living with the virus.” People will be fully panicking and it’s not going to be enjoyable in the slightest. And they will attack the government for failing to take care of them, no matter that they should have vaccinated their elders out of their own familial responsibility.
    mucaari and Flapster like this.

Original Post Deleted
    If you look at the city carefully, most locals WONT starve even if they are out of a job for a prolonged period. Especially the yum cha group. They are living in public housing (possibly very rich too) or they own multiple assets. Meaning they can afford to go without a "job" for quite some time.

I know so many younger ex colleagues that come from well off families. Losing their job would only mean they will spend a bit less on shoes/toys etc.

If you look at Philippines, the story is quite different. Many people WILL starve without a job.

I think we'll eventually see a drift back to 7 day QT. Probably not for high incidence countries, but at least some degree of moderation from this only applying to NZ.

Either that or Jacinda bottles it and we can start creating spreadsheets to track rolling average case numbers in the run up to a revolutionary HK/NZ covid secure travel bubble with one Cathay and one Air NZ plane allowed to fly each week. Mandatory 3M disposable jumpsuits, goggles and gloves for all.

Staying here is now, more than ever, a very sharp lifestyle and money accumulation decision. I can see there being a proper exodus of expats for whom it is no longer worth it after the Xmas holidays... everyone i know who hasn't already travelled over summer is now at breaking point and jetting off to see family.

HK_Katherine and blandy62 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Peaky:
    I think we'll eventually see a drift back to 7 day QT. Probably not for high incidence countries, but at least some degree of moderation from this only applying to NZ.
    Not if they want to prepare for the mainland border opening up, because that would be inconsistent with the China bubble.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast