Like Tree19Likes

Legco agrees to ban movies that threaten national decurity

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Legco agrees to ban movies that threaten national decurity

https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/compone...abChangeable=0

As pointed out by many LegCo had a diverse range of questions such as asking for this to include online content not just at the cinema.
    Mefisto likes this.

I’m not worried because we have all those Western countries rallying around in our defence. Ahem! Even Chris Patton seems to have given up on the empty rhetoric.

For 2047 I was coming to the conclusion that 2027 might be the reality. I am now coming around to the reality of it being much sooner than that. I predict within 2 years our internet access will align to mainland practices. I still have no idea how to install and use a VPN despite reading several articles on it.

Part of me has an I’m all right Jack mentality about this because I have colleagues working on the mainland and they have active lives. Part of me feels for the locals but at the same time the speed with which protests disappeared (irrespective of NSL being the reason) demonstrates that there is a grudging acceptance of what’s to come.

The above is a very simplistic, perhaps wrong view and perhaps exaggerated timetable. For those with local partners and friends what’s the pulse check on what’s happening?

shri likes this.

Wife's family all local. "Grudging acceptance" is probably the perfect description. The path is set and there is no turning back. The reality is Hong Kong is so business/ money orientated that unless there is a very serious impact on the economy (possible but unlikely as the GBA dream unfolds) then most will just roll with it. When the border re-opens and we return to the era of mainlanders swamping events and facilities, making HK unbearably busy again, then this will probably spark some mild backlash for a while. This is politely forgotten as HK is just full of Hongkongers atm.

ByeByeEngland, shri and Elegiaque like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:
    I’m not worried because we have all those Western countries rallying around in our defence. Ahem! Even Chris Patton seems to have given up on the empty rhetoric.

For 2047 I was coming to the conclusion that 2027 might be the reality. I am now coming around to the reality of it being much sooner than that. I predict within 2 years our internet access will align to mainland practices. I still have no idea how to install and use a VPN despite reading several articles on it.

Part of me has an I’m all right Jack mentality about this because I have colleagues working on the mainland and they have active lives. Part of me feels for the locals but at the same time the speed with which protests disappeared (irrespective of NSL being the reason) demonstrates that there is a grudging acceptance of what’s to come.

The above is a very simplistic, perhaps wrong view and perhaps exaggerated timetable. For those with local partners and friends what’s the pulse check on what’s happening?
    It's very easy to use a VPN, just get subscription, all you have to do is select what country you want your IP address to be from and that's it. Note: a VPN does not hide what you do online. If you really want to go dark you will have to use the Tor network, it will encrypt your data and make it go around a bit then send you the information, it's impossible to break. What China does though is install backdoor by forcing people to install APKs.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutark:
    It's very easy to use a VPN, just get subscription, all you have to do is select what country you want your IP address to be from and that's it. Note: a VPN does not hide what you do online.
    I'd say a large number of these VPNs are controlled by dodgy players and so are Tor nodes.
    huja, blandy62, drumbrake and 1 others like this.

If you really want to go dark, ditch your phone and your computer. That's why it took so long to get Bin Laden - they couldn't find him because he wasn't online.

blandy62 likes this.

Thanks on the VPN. Perhaps I’m over thinking it because all the explanations I’ve ever read must be making an easy job complex.

as to going off radar I would love it. I know one or two people back in the U.K. with no internet and a phone that is just a phone. Admittedly they’ve all made their money and have retired, though one has become a landscape gardener as something to fill his days.

So much social media filled with hatred. This place, in comparison, just has heated disagreements

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    I'd say a large number of these VPNs are controlled by dodgy players and so are Tor nodes.
    One of my friend owns about 30% of the Tor network. He is self funded and finance part of it via donation. There are plenty of countries he can't go because of that, since a lot of protesters in dictatorship uses it. He kept getting ddos attacks by the Russian government a while back.
    He is far from dodgy and worked the corporate life for his entire career, he just does that to help democracy. That said there are criminal using the network too but he has no way to know who does what. Which the police doesn't seem to understand based on the letters he gets.
    AsianXpat0 and Baklava like this.

I would certainly not want to be at the receiving end of those requests!

blandy62 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    I would certainly not want to be at the receiving end of those requests!
    Yeah, he gets it all, CIA, FBI, Interpol etc... I had to translate some replies for him as the French police level of English is a disaster.
    chuckster007 likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast