Like Tree116Likes

Burner Phones - A Simple Guide

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Burner Phones - A Simple Guide

Naturally LHS app is the topic of the day, a lot of people are saying that a burner phone is the easiest way to go, I for one don't understand what I need to do to make this work.

So for those that have done it and understand the process please explain (in simple terms that everyone can understand).

Step 1: Go to
    Sham Shui Po (golden centre) or
    Mongkok - Sin Tat Plaza (Argyle street) or
    258 computer centre in Wanchai

Step 2A: Buy the cheapest phone you can find that will support LHS app

This is where I already need strong guidance. I always use iPhone, but just want the cheapest that will work - what low end phone/phones fit the bill? - I assume android will be cheapest? Please supply model names/numbers where possible.

Step 2 B: Ascertain that the phone we're being sold DOES support LHS before we part with cash - How do we do this?

Step 3: Set phone up with LHS
    How do you do this if it doesn't have a sim card? As far as I know it's not possible to set up your phone without sim card using OS.
    Is this what we need to do? Attempt to use it sim-cardless? Or do you mean something else?
    If the phone has no sim card - and thus no data plan, how is the LHS app able to work?
    Do we need to download the app using wifi at home and then after that it never needs data to work?
    Do we use or primary phone has a wifi hotspot for our burner? If so, how to set that up?

I understand that new pay as you go sims require an ID to register them and thus that surely defeats the purpose of the burner if a sim is required?

So, for those of you that KNOW the answers to these questions, please contribute them clearly and simply below, then I will collate them all into a simple guide for tech-dummies.

Baklava and chingleutsch like this.

You don't need a ID yet.. As far as I know it is in a grace period.

Not bought a SIM in a year or so.. Could be wrong.

Worst case data and roaming sims can be bought online.

But still.. Is it worth the paranoia?

Andy SNK and qhank like this.

Semantics: 'Burner' means that it'll be used temporarily, then disposed of. Nobody uses burners outside of TV shows. People doing this LHS thing on a secondary phone are just using... secondary phones.

No idea what the lowest spec phone is. I've found that it works on at least Android 7, which is a 5 year old OS version.

ycchai likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    You don't need a ID yet.. As far as I know it is in a grace period.

Not bought a SIM in a year or so.. Could be wrong.

Worst case data and roaming sims can be bought online.

But still.. Is it worth the paranoia?
    you can buy HK sim cards online? Can you suggest a site that does that please?

Re the paranoia - yes it's worth it. My sports league was cancelled on Wednesday night because the HK govt forced everyone in the football club to take a test because some guy caught covid in the UK and then retuned to HK within 3 weeks (and was ushered straight to the hospital of course) - Utterly moronic, I will not get caught up in that bullshit.
    HK_Katherine and dossier like this.

why do you think you need a sim card? it works just fine without one.

but equally just use a firewall app on your main phone and save yourself 200 bucks and carrying around another device (these generally work via the VPN network feature both android and ios have, but don't actually connect to a VPN externally, instead they just let you totally block an app from data/wifi the same way you would on a PC firewall).

eventually they will make this harder and demand HKID and iamsmart for everyone (and an ankle bracelet for kids and oldies lol) but for now of you don't want to play you really don't have to.

shri, alexdown and rkenia852 like this.

The new regulation on real-name registration for SIM cards in Hong Kong will take effect Wednesday, requiring operators to have the required systems in place by the end of February.

In a statement, the Hong Kong government said the public can continue to use their existing pre-paid SIM cards during the first phase of the implementation of Telecommunications (Registration of SIM Cards) Regulation which ends on Feb 28, 2022.
    HKTVMall .. 7-11 etc have SIMs available (but like I said, you just need a global data roaming SIM .. if you don't want to connect to a WiFi or hotspot.

Also, I think this should work on any phone with multiple user profiles.
    SirNotAppearing and Sage like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Peaky:
    why do you think you need a sim card? it works just fine without one.

but equally just use a firewall app on your main phone and save yourself 200 bucks and carrying around another device (these generally work via the VPN network feature both android and ios have, but don't actually connect to a VPN externally, instead they just let you totally block an app from data/wifi the same way you would on a PC firewall).

eventually they will make this harder and demand HKID and iamsmart for everyone (and an ankle bracelet for kids and oldies lol) but for now of you don't want to play you really don't have to.
    Why do i think I need a sim card? - I don't per se, I'm asking, but my memory (perhaps wrong) from past experience is that you can't set up an iphone without a sim card.

If no sim card is needed, then great, that's a big hurdle out of the way.

Can all commonly available phones be set up without a sim card, or only certain classes of phone?

No problems setting up android phones without SIM cards - on a WiFi ..

Sage and HK_Katherine like this.

u can buy sim cards without needing to register your ID (YET), just bought two SoSim cards from park n shop last week, 33$ each card, no needing anything, install sosim app and away you go.

There is a grace period to register your real ID.

the commencement of the Regulation on September 1 this year, telecommunications operators will put in place a registration system within phase one in accordance with the Regulation. During this period, the public can continue with the existing use of SIM card services and there is no imminent need for real-name registration.

Phase two will begin on March 1, 2022. The public will have to register with their operators starting from that date. Real-name registration is needed for all new SIM cards to be used for person-to-person communications, including new PPS cards and new SIM service plan (SSP) services, before activation. Existing PPS card users will have to complete real-name registration with their operators within the 360-day grace period, i.e. on or before February 23, 2023. Existing SSP users are not required to "re-register" their personal particulars with their operators. They only need to register in accordance with the Regulation if they change to another operator or subscribe to a new phone number. For details of the Registration Programme, please visit the website: http://www.cedb.gov.hk/ccib/en/legco...f%20SIM_EN.pdf.

https://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/...1060100607.htm
    shri, Sage and Baklava like this.

Update 1:

Step 1: Go to
    i) Sham Shui Po (golden centre) or Ap Liu Street
    ii) Mongkok - Sin Tat Plaza (Argyle street) or
    iii) 258 computer centre in Wanchai

Step 2A: Buy the cheapest phone you can find that will support LHS app
    i) LHS works with Android 5.0 and later
    (seeking to ascertain if it works with older versions of android OS)

Lenovo running android 5.0 is suitable - current 2nd hand sale price around $400

Any other low end phone/phones that fit the bill?
    Please supply model names/numbers where possible.

A note regarding sim cards - New pay as you go sim cards don't need to be registered to your real name until March 2022

Step 2 B: Ascertain that the phone we're being sold DOES support LHS before paying -
    Any way to do this?

Step 3: Set up phone up with LHS.
    i) A sim card is NOT required to run the LHS app
    ii) Android phones can be set up with wifi at home without a sim card.
    iii) When installing LHS, no personal info need be supplied.

Step X - Alternative approaches
    Use a firewall app on your main phone and save yourself buying a 2nd phone and carrying it around.

Please list some recommended firewall apps for IOS and Android

(these generally work via the VPN network feature but don't actually connect to a VPN externally, instead they just let you totally block an app from data/wifi the same way you would on a PC firewall).

So, for those of you that KNOW the answers to these questions, please contribute them clearly and simply below, then I will continue to collate them all into a simple guide for tech-dummies.

Last edited by Sage; 05-11-2021 at 11:48 AM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast