Like Tree87Likes

Selfish Masks, HEPA Filters and ...

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    I'm mainly tired of most people thinking that masks are a magical talisman. Regardless of particle size, the vast majority of airflow bypasses the filtration material- I've noticed this just exhaling with my hands around the edges to feel for wind.
    Can you blow a candle out wearing a mask?

No one has ever suggested they are leak proof. I would suggest they aid social distancing making 1m be like 3m allowing a densely packed city like HK operate without curfews and district wide lockdowns.

They do massively exceed the HEPA standard though.
    HEPA has been hijacked by marketers, technically High Efficiency Particulate Arrestor (HEPA) is not a recognised standard, air filters are classified in accordance with the size of particles arrested and efficiency of arrestance at given pressure drop.

Which air purifiers work then to trap covid ?

There are so many on the market with lots of gimmicks and new technology I am confused.

I know about the israeli one called "Aura " which is being used on buses, lifts etc.

https://www.israel21c.org/israeli-ai...k-irish-buses/

I wonder do the hotels do extra, get extra hepa filters, etc. to improve the ventilation of all the air that goes to the rooms? I guess go for hotels that have windows that open if there are any.

FFS its been fucking 2 years and we are still arguing over masks efficacy.

Masks do help to certain extent. Its not great. You can still smell a fart. Masks can help slow the spread but covid is so widespread now, it is like trying to put out a forest fire with a wet cloth.

The argument now should be: "should we just move on, get vaccinated and live with Covid".

greenmark and HK_Katherine like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dinosaurs88:
    Which air purifiers work then to trap covid ?

There are so many on the market with lots of gimmicks and new technology I am confused.

I know about the israeli one called "Aura " which is being used on buses, lifts etc.

https://www.israel21c.org/israeli-ai...k-irish-buses/
    Size matters. It is about risk reduction. The more air that is filtered the better.

Name:  air-changes-per-hour-calculator.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  39.0 KB

Name:  control-of-airborne-transmission.png
Views: 221
Size:  66.3 KB
    Jillypots likes this.

It is hard to believe people are still discounting masks. People confuse viral size with particle size. The virus does not float around as a isolated virus, it is carried in aerosol droplets of various sizes. The droplets are much larger than the virus particle, by a factor of 10 or more.

The viral loaded droplets are caught in the masks to an extent that reduces transmission

No one is saying they are perfect- and they are very inconvenient and a total bore. They really are not needed right now in Hong Kong. Masks are crap but masks also help. Maskless heroes in the current environment are really just not conforming to the social context of HK right now and are demonstrating a lack of empathy with the HK populace.

You doubters must wonder why surgeons bother to wear surgical masks... *cough*

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0843-2

greenmark, Baklava and Jillypots like this.

Just a thought. It would be interesting to if someone had an air quality monitor that monitors everyday the quality of the air in their hotel room over a period of 21 days.

Quote Originally Posted by dinosaurs88:
    Just a thought. It would be interesting to if someone had an air quality monitor that monitors everyday the quality of the air in their hotel room over a period of 21 days.
    In the video I posted above, I believe Belgium was requiring such air monitors...Belgium was hit pretty hard by covid in terms of deaths per million so I guess they got serious...

Quote Originally Posted by kittykaitak:
    Maskless heroes in the current environment are really just not conforming to the social context of HK right now and are demonstrating a lack of empathy with the HK populace.

You doubters must wonder why surgeons bother to wear surgical masks... *cough*

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0843-2
    Correction, this maskless hero is demonstrating an utter contempt for the unvaccinated hypocrites and general idiots in HK.

I had another scenario on the tram this morning, some unvaccinated tosser shouting about masks and about how much he loves HK and therefore why I'm obviously wrong to dare to not wear a mask in his presence.

I'll repeat he is unvaxxed.

The tosser keeps shouting, shouts at the driver, the driver stops the tram and shouts at me, the younger people sitting next to me get impatient and explain 'the rules', I explain how the rules are selectively enforced and that really it is people like the old tosser who are causing the problem, holding the more upwardly mobile part of society hostage.

A light goes on behind their eyes, they agree and turn on the driver telling her to be quiet and get back to driving.

Everyone carries on and the only one unhappy is the tosser; just the way it should be.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast