Like Tree34Likes

HK Government threatens Wall Street Journal

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

HK Government threatens Wall Street Journal

The HK government has apparently threatened the Wall Street Journal with incitement while claiming there is freedom of speech:

https://hongkongfp.com/2021/12/06/ho...zjGEKMKJ9Oxv2E

Hmm...I am not sure this will go down so well in the US....to threaten a US newspaper...let's see what WSJ will respond with.

Last edited by Coolboy; 06-12-2021 at 06:22 PM.

China vs Murdoch... Isn't there a similar theme in Succession?

"everybody's rights are guaranteed by the basic law", he says with a straight face while threatening an overseas publication with the NSL in the same breath.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    "everybody's rights are guaranteed by the basic law", he says with a straight face while threatening an overseas publication with the NSL in the same breath.
    The real question is.. Is anyone even remotely surprised?
    calmathetic9, blandy62 and Mcdavid like this.

(Via Matthew Brooker's thread)

Kudos to Alvin Lum for unearthing this gem.

Unless/until the Xianggang SAR renounces its former Chief Executive's official statement as illegal or so-called seditious, I would like to echo the sentiment in Mr Donald Tsang's official government press release in verbatim (*), as follows:

"The background causes of this (so-called) Legislative Election are clear to all.
    The mainstream community view is that this election could have been avoided, and many regard it as an abuse of the electoral system and a waste of taxpayers' money (and then some, but although we still supposedly enjoy freedom to speech under the 2020's so-called "national security law", to lessen the likelihood of incarceration it is clearly better not to elaborate).

In view of the nature of this election and after consideration, I have decided not to vote in this election."

(*) I have only omitted the parts which do not apply to this current selection process.

Name:  CE Donald Tsang election boycott 2010.jpg
Views: 1114
Size:  178.0 KB

Last edited by Mefisto; 06-12-2021 at 10:53 PM.

Wow... Looks like the gloves are off..

But good for both sides... We shall soon find out where the HK, Wall Street and Murdoch relationship ends up. I don't think WSJ is as well prepared for this as the NYT was / anticipated.

Original Post Deleted
    "I am sickened by your....."

Yea the feeling is mutual, c***!
    Mcdavid likes this.

Original Post Deleted

We must understand that as a cadre from an internal affairs dept., comrade Kwok-wai Tsang ('Erick') hasn't been fully trained in external foreign force handling.

Comrade Kwok-wai shows promise though and clearly has a license to thrill and rouse the masses.

Here is how a fully trained barbarian handler does it with poise and intelligence:

https://twitter.com/crehage/status/1473956103985713154

Quote Originally Posted by Mefisto:
    Here is how a fully trained barbarian handler does it with poise and intelligence:

https://twitter.com/crehage/status/1473956103985713154
    Hu Xijin thinks the Soviet Union was a "trashcan".
    Makes sense since they were also Communist and that was the whole point of the argument.

Some world-class whataboutery in that response.

Signs of a lack of real argument.

Honestly feels less like an official response and more like a comment on this forum.

No wonder so many PR companies didn't want the government account...

shri likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast