Like Tree66Likes

130+ Positive Cases, CE Press Conference at 6PM

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
  1. #21

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Pampanga, Philippines
    Posts
    30,375
    Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    Yes, testing prior to boarding, testing when you land, two tests in quarantine (one a self test).

    Yeah, doesn't make HK look too virus-free...
    So fake test certification in Hong Kong then

  2. #22

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sai Kung
    Posts
    5,164

    I must admit to not being entirely understanding of the meaning of the phrase ‘dynamic zero’.

    In a nutshell it means full lockdown quickly and mass testing quickly. The big difference is that China can do this by locking down entire cities and has all the resources it needs. HK is trying to do it block by block. By the time it mobilises its scant resources residents have already been out and about shopping, MTR etc. If that happens in a China outbreak City before lockdown then there’ll be some escape with potential travel outside of that City beforehand but largely the problem is contained within the city until they’ve isolated all the positives and the transmission period has ended (weeks in some cases). That’s the big difference between dynamic Covid on Mainland and here. Despite Geniusless Ho it is impractical and pretty much unenforceable to perform a citywide lockdown.

    I then came across the below (may have been posted before). What was interesting to me was the comment that outside of lockdown cities life is pretty much normal and I’ve been dismissive of such comments on SCMP. I queried that with a couple of contacts on the mainland and it appears this is indeed the case. The jury is therefore out on what happens when dynamic zero fails in HK. Certainly the end for CL but what happens next?

    https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...namic-clearing


  3. #23

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    位置位置位置
    Posts
    48,752
    I must admit to not being entirely understanding of the meaning of the phrase ‘dynamic zero’.
    If you cannot convince someone, your next best option is to confuse them.
    ndt, Baklava, tf19 and 2 others like this.

  4. #24

    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    4,936

    I take “dynamic” zero simply as meaning they can’t actually keep Covid out, so you end up with a “moving target”. If one day the lockdowns fail or outlive their usefulness, they can just airily say, well zero wasn’t actually the target after all. In the meantime, what you described does reflect the current meaning/practice.

    Over or under shooting with restrictiveness of the measures is always the fault of the local governments, successes are thanks to central government policy. You can see the same working in HK.


  5. #25

    Join Date
    May 2021
    Posts
    1,735

    On that note, Hemmers has some interesting angles..

    https://www.biglychee.com/2022/01/24...ummy-vaccines/


  6. #26

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,886
    Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    If you cannot convince someone, your next best option is to confuse them.
    I think the first option is 'simply lie'

    And the plan B is 'talk utter shit whilst lying'.

  7. #27

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,886
    Quote Originally Posted by AsianXpat0:
    I take “dynamic” zero simply as meaning they can’t actually keep Covid out, so you end up with a “moving target”. If one day the lockdowns fail or outlive their usefulness, they can just airily say, well zero wasn’t actually the target after all. In the meantime, what you described does reflect the current meaning/practice.

    Over or under shooting with restrictiveness of the measures is always the fault of the local governments, successes are thanks to central government policy. You can see the same working in HK.
    Oh come now, you give them far far far too much credit.

    Dynamic zero means nothing other than how utterly unfit to govern they are.

    There's a few zero's one can apply: Zero truth, zero logic, zero credibly, but nothing remotely about zero covid.

  8. #28

    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    946
    Quote Originally Posted by Sage:
    Oh come now, you give them far far far too much credit.

    Dynamic zero means nothing other than how utterly unfit to govern they are.

    There's a few zero's one can apply: Zero truth, zero logic, zero credibly, but nothing remotely about zero covid.
    zero fun, zero fucks given about mental and physical health, zero ex-pats living in HK
    Sage, hongkong7 and Vaughn.T like this.

  9. #29

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    猴山
    Posts
    23,860
    Quote Originally Posted by ndt:
    On that note, Hemmers has some interesting angles..

    https://www.biglychee.com/2022/01/24...ummy-vaccines/
    This would seem to be the issue with China's inability to open up.

  10. #30

    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Hong Kong / London
    Posts
    7,760

    Seeing and feeling Carrie’s emotions