Like Tree80Likes

Primary Students Full Day School

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

So schools will stay closed then.

Can't see any place getting close to 70% - especially with Sinovac, which many still distrust. But what's the point of making it mandatory to vaccinated kids when the vaccines don't work against the newest variation?

Of course I know the answer is that there is no point. It's just another knee-jerk based on ideology rather than science.

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisX:
    So schools will stay closed then.

Can't see any place getting close to 70% - especially with Sinovac, which many still distrust. But what's the point of making it mandatory to vaccinated kids when the vaccines don't work against the newest variation?

Of course I know the answer is that there is no point. It's just another knee-jerk based on ideology rather than science.
    The vaccines do work
    Gatts and Beanieskis like this.

How about preventing pensioners from visiting shops, eateries, travelling etc until their vax rates reach 70 percent?

Of course they work but they won't stop cases, and on all evidence they'll continue shutting schools down at the first sign of a few cases in the community. No matter how you slice it, in-school learning is approaching the point of being a dead concept in HK...for good.

And let's remember there are half a million oldies here without even their first shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Douglas:
    Of course they work but they won't stop cases, and on all evidence they'll continue shutting schools down at the first sign of a few cases in the community. No matter how you slice it, in-school learning is approaching the point of being a dead concept in HK...for good.

And let's remember there are half a million oldies here without even their first shot.
    I wasn't replying to your post but one that said the vaccines don't work. That type of false statement encourages those not having the vaccine.

I agree with your post.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I wasn't replying to your post but one that said the vaccines don't work. That type of false statement encourages those not having the vaccine.

I agree with your post.
    The vaccine definitely works, although maybe not for that long and then 4 or 5 months later need another one. Thats a bit annoying.

Two doses is enough for me and I'm not getting booster just yet despite being eligible. Since the Pfizer CEO said publicly the new Omicron version 1.1 of the vaccine is coming out in March, then might be better to wait until then. The Pfizer CEO saying this is probably the biggest discouragement for getting vaccinated right now.

It's just like I needed a new laptop back in October, but I waited until December to buy it because the ones in October had a sticker "Free upgrade to Windows 11 when its released" on the box. But then I thought, yeah nah fuck off I want a laptop with Windows 11 when I crack open the box, not mess around upgrading to Win 11 a few months after setting up the laptop. So I waited for the fresh ones to arrive that came with Win 11 directly .

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    The vaccine definitely works, although maybe not for that long and then 4 or 5 months later need another one. Thats a bit annoying.

Two doses is enough for me and I'm not getting booster just yet despite being eligible. Since the Pfizer CEO said publicly the new Omicron version 1.1 of the vaccine is coming out in March, then might be better to wait until then. The Pfizer CEO saying this is probably the biggest discouragement for getting vaccinated right now.

It's just like I needed a new laptop back in October, but I waited until December to buy it because the ones in October had a sticker "Free upgrade to Windows 11 when its released" on the box. But then I thought, yeah nah fuck off I want a laptop with Windows 11 when I crack open the box, not mess around upgrading to Win 11 a few months after setting up the laptop. So I waited for the fresh ones to arrive that came with Win 11 directly .
    The big effect is between vaccinated and unvaccinated, the booster is an extra.

Last edited by shri; 25-01-2022 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ArrynField:
    What is the Herd Immunity rate for Covid? Is it 70%, 75%, 80%, 85%, 90% or more? The fact is nobody really knows.

For example, the Herd Immunity Rates for:

Measles is 95% and

Polio is 80%

The importance is to get as many people vaxed as possible.
    Well, if Portugal is a benchmark: over 90% of the population (total population of 10 million) is fully vaccinated (there literally is nobody left to vaccinate as toddlers are not eligible), over 4 million of these fully vaccinated have received their boostershot (and they now are only just opening it up for the 30 year olds), no sinovac, daily cases last week were between 50.000 and 60.000 every single day, over 2 million total Covid cases reported since 2020 (but reality will be much higher as not every case will be in the books)

No such thing as herd immunity, even with these vaccination rates and the existing number of infected since the start of 2020 it just needs to rage on until everyone got it, and yes, vaccination with booster definitely reduces the chance to get seriously ill or die.

And this is in a country where masks are still everywhere mandatory inside and even outside most people still wear a mask.

Hong Kong needs to realize that their approach for Delta (which was ridiculous anyway) certainly doesn’t work for Omicron

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardstorm:
    Hong Kong needs to realize that their approach for Delta (which was ridiculous anyway) certainly doesn’t work for Omicron
    So far it is working well

3 days of 100+ cases only so far

In a population that is 70% vaxxed and half of those vaxxed with a supposedly inferior vaccine

With everything we know about Omi that should not be the case. We should be seeing 1000+ cases by now

HK may be the first city in the world to contain and suppress Omi

Take that Singapore!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeky Kiwi:
    So far it is working well

3 days of 100+ cases only so far

In a population that is 70% vaxxed and half of those vaxxed with a supposedly inferior vaccine

With everything we know about Omi that should not be the case. We should be seeing 1000+ cases by now

HK may be the first city in the world to contain and suppress Omi

Take that Singapore!
    Everywhere else failed to close their beaches. Clearly not a coincidence.
    Sith, hike, MABinPengChau and 3 others like this.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast