Like Tree170Likes

February HK Covid News

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast

I am in Clearwater bay. To be fair, I saw like only 2 households with small gatherings. Usually every other house has a bbq or hotpot. The public area where people gather for celebrations was also closed.

I am shocked how disciplined my neighborhood has been...

I don't buy that HK's covid situation or divergence would trouble Xi's election at all. Changing tack here would not bring the much feared 'instability' if done gradually and messaged as a pilot. They simply need to make the vaccine pass rules from 24 Feb a de facto mandate and get jabs into the oldies fast.

It is also really not clear to me what it has to do with the Olympics over a thousand miles away, but the games will be over long before the wheels of HK policy move significantly anyway.

So that would be the sensible path. The only plausible alternative is to go "Full Xian", total lockdown and mobilise PLA or other resources from over the border and test the whole population 2 or 3 times in the space of a week to find all cases and lock them up somewhere. If they are going to make that call they have to make it happen in the next 10 days otherwise the case numbers will make detention implausible.

mucaari likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeky Kiwi:
    It was quieter at you lot's buildings because the masses were out shopping in Causeway Bay

Not sure about TST, perhaps it was swamped as well
    HK01 has been reporting in how empty Shatin and other malls have been. The joke going around town is that everyone seems to be in the testing queues and no one has time for shopping.
    Cheeky Kiwi likes this.

Well in Causeway Bay they were all queuing up for cafes and restaurants

That new Thai dessert place - After You - had queues of more than 100m long from 12pm

Quote Originally Posted by Peaky:
    I don't buy that HK's covid situation or divergence would trouble Xi's election at all. Changing tack here would not bring the much feared 'instability' if done gradually and messaged as a pilot.
    I agree

People seem to forget that the Great Wall of China can block and censor any news

Just remove any news about HK and COVID if numbers shoot up - quite easily done
    shri and merchantms like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    The mainland will not order HK to change its zero-Covid approach until after the Winter Olympics is finished and Xi's third-term is confirmed. For actual local circumstances, the biggest sticking point remains the low vaccination rate of the elderly, where only 30% is fully vaccinated. So long as that rate remains stubbornly low, then the government can't afford to ease up on Covid control measures. The prospect of seeing tens of thousands of elderly deaths per day (according to one claim) due to Covid will destroy whatever credibility the HK government has left. Not so much to the average HK citizen (since most of them have no say and has low approval ratings on the government's performance anyway) but to Beijing.
    HK cannot maintain the current level of restrictions until November (isn’t that when Xi’s event is) and without a citywide lockdown will not get back to zero anytime soon. I expect some changes by spring but until then I’m worried about how far they will go in the last gasp of Covid zero until then.

So that would be the sensible path. The only plausible alternative is to go "Full Xian", total lockdown and mobilise PLA or other resources from over the border and test the whole population 2 or 3 times in the space of a week to find all cases and lock them up somewhere. If they are going to make that call they have to make it happen in the next 10 days otherwise the case numbers will make detention implausible.
    If they are going to do this then the Finance budget will have to include $888 billion in cash handouts and tax cuts due to all the lost businesses and job losses

I don't buy that HK's covid situation or divergence would trouble Xi's election at all. Changing tack here would not bring the much feared 'instability' if done gradually and messaged as a pilot. They simply need to make the vaccine pass rules from 24 Feb a de facto mandate and get jabs into the oldies fast.
    HKers are quite self focused, I can imagine Xi has 25 issues higher on his priority list than HK Covid policy.

A foreign athlete doing some major human rights protest while the entire world is watching the Olympics would be a much bigger issue than if kindergartens are open in Hong Kong.
    Vaughn.T, shri and angeluscomplex like this.

It is also really not clear to me what it has to do with the Olympics over a thousand miles away, but the games will be over long before the wheels of HK policy move significantly anyway.

This is not about "instability", Xi has no fear of that with HK. Its about "face". It does not look good to him if there is a Covid explosion while he has his third-term. To "save face", HK has to avoid any massive Covid outbreak in the eyes of Beijing.

Original Post Deleted
    Again, its not about Xi's fear of losing control. Its all about face.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast