Like Tree170Likes

February HK Covid News

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    I expect some changes by spring but until then I’m worried about how far they will go in the last gasp of Covid zero until then.
    That depends on how Beijing sees the Covid situation in HK and what they will order the HK government to do, ease up on Covid controls or stamp it out further.

A foreign athlete doing some major human rights protest while the entire world is watching the Olympics would be a much bigger issue than if kindergartens are open in Hong Kong.
    https://edition.cnn.com/2022/02/03/s...hnk/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    That depends on how Beijing sees the Covid situation in HK and what they will order the HK government to do, ease up on Covid controls or stamp it out further.
    I’m assuming it’s impossible to stamp out. HK cannot financially survive at this or stricter levels of shutdown for more than a few months.

Ngong Ping Big Buddha was in full festive mode yesterday, surreal atmosphere there with nice chilly weather and very low visibility upto 5-10m and people flocking with gigantic invense sticks for prayers and probably burn the covid aw well .

Coolboy likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    The CCP works in mysterious ways. What you and I or most common folks think may not be shared by the CCP. They have their own political calculations.
    Baklava likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    Taiwan seems to be doing a fine job at containing Omicron. They reported a total of 22 local cases yesterday, having discovered the first case discovered on 2022/01/03 and peaking at 52 on 2022/01/23.
    Coolboy and angeluscomplex like this.

I’m assuming it’s impossible to stamp out. HK cannot financially survive at this or stricter levels of shutdown for more than a few months.
    Again, the-powers-that-be have different calculations right now. They have other priorities. HK's diminished status is a price worth paying...otherwise why would they have ordered the HK government to maintain this zero Covid strategy for so long already despite the clear costs to the city?

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    Again, its not about Xi's fear of losing control. Its all about face.
    Disagree. There is no face to be lost as it can all be swept up in terms of comparison of the two systems within the one country. The only thing that would get the party cadres to change allegiance would be instability in the mainland coming from uncontrolled spread in a weakly vaccinated population, health systems imploding etc.

I also really don't buy the narrative that Beijing is directing Carrie explicitly... they've just had her chasing shadows dropping vague hints of what it would take to open the northern border.

Quote Originally Posted by Peaky:

I also really don't buy the narrative that Beijing is directing Carrie explicitly... they've just had her chasing shadows dropping vague hints of what it would take to open the northern border.
    I'm afraid you don't quite understand how Beijing works and what matters to them.
    Gatts likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by qhank:
    Taiwan seems to be doing a fine job at containing Omicron. They reported a total of 22 local cases yesterday, having discovered the first case discovered on 2022/01/03 and peaking at 52 on 2022/01/23.
    What is the testing rate in Taiwan? From experience, it is difficult to be tested in Taiwan, and similarly to Hong Kong, there is a reluctance to be tested. So, there is question as to how many hidden cases there are in Taiwan - as in Hong Kong these days - how many on geoexpat would consent to voluntary testing?
    Coolboy likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast