Like Tree147Likes

Feb 2022: Cross Border Drivers & Fresh Produce Shortages

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

Feb 2022: Cross Border Drivers & Fresh Produce Shortages

First, a few days ago, a customs officer tested positive, closing the border at Mam Kam To for a short while = no deliveries of fresh vegetables.
    Yesterday, a HK truck driver tested positive in a mainland closed-loop hotel and all the other drivers there are stuck in the hotel too.
    https://www.hk01.com/%E7%A4%BE%E6%9C...A8%80%E7%BC%BA

Quote Originally Posted by MatthieuTofu:
    First, a few days ago, a customs officer tested positive, closing the border at Mam Kam To for a short while = no deliveries of fresh vegetables.
    Yesterday, a HK truck driver tested positive in a mainland closed-loop hotel and all the other drivers there are stuck in the hotel too.
    https://www.hk01.com/%E7%A4%BE%E6%9C...A8%80%E7%BC%BA
    Roommate's father and brother are cross-border drivers and they get tested all the time- I think she said some other reason a bunch got sent to quarantine as well...they are not easy to replace I think because they have to jump through hoops to do this cross-border stuff. Her whole family in HK worries every day about the possibility of Penny's Bay and such due to their jobs...

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    Roommate's father and brother are cross-border drivers and they get tested all the time- I think she said some other reason a bunch got sent to quarantine as well...they are not easy to replace I think because they have to jump through hoops to do this cross-border stuff. Her whole family in HK worries every day about the possibility of Penny's Bay and such due to their jobs...
    Looks like there are only 200 or so drivers for fresh produce.
    Stanley Chiang Chi-wai, chairman of the Hong Kong Land Transport Council, said nine drivers were banned from returning to Hong Kong as they went on the same coach carrying an infected driver and were listed as close contacts.
    Apart from the nine, several dozens of drivers who stayed in the same hotel as the infected will also be taken out of a quarantine-free list. They will be banned from cross-border transportation for 21 days.
    Chiang said there are around 200 drivers who deliver fresh food across the border, including seafood, vegetables and pork. With a significant number of drivers suspended from the trade, Hong Kong is bound is see impact in food supply, he expected.
    https://www.thestandard.com.hk/break...39;s-infection
    shri, Baklava and Morrison like this.

Happy New Year

HK literally 'biting the hand that feeds them'

hullexile and Sage like this.

Roommate now says they got released still seems some confusion over what's going on- but, yes, it's a super-regulated system only 2 drivers per truck, need to be registered and such so due to all the red tape, these are not replaceable people. Her father and brother were even prioritized for the vaccine when it first came, so they are absolutely considered very essential workers.

To think that there are two perfectly working railway lines between Shenzhen and the centre of Hong Kong... roll a cargo train to Shenzhen (conductor doesn't even have to get off the cabin), load it with fresh produce, depart for HK.

To be super nitpicky, one locomotive could push the train over the border on the HK side, but not cross the border, till the train is pulled into station from the China side, also without crossing the border..
    No human being crosses the border, only the cargo carriages.

..profit?

I went to the wet market today and veggies were up by 30%, great it's not like food was overpriced already. Moron government

blandy62 likes this.

So stop the cargo flights and the cross border trucks. Isn't it lucky Hong Kong is self sufficient.

Out of morbid curiosity I've recently been doubling my frequency to M&S to ascertain if there really are shortages in food.

My takeaways: a) Some fresh veg is in short supply but the inventory is mostly BAU b) the queues are much longer (expat panic buying?) than I remember and c) my kid will do anything (including his chores) for Percy Pigs so i'm chained to M&S until the kiddo reaches uni age.

vmlinuz and Jillypots like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast