Like Tree24Likes

Shane Warne: Australia cricket legend dies aged 52

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Really sad news, as an England cricket fan for the past 30 years he was one of the greatest bowlers of that era and all-time. Numerous times I didn't have confidence in us batting out a 5th day of a Test match with Warnie bowling (often for almost the entire day unchanged)

I've only seen him play once live but in recent years he's been a great servant to the game with his charity work & enjoyed his insight through his commentary, has a great cricket brain. RIP Warnie

5th day of a test match and England playing was a rare phenomenon in the Shane/McGrath era

RIP

A big shock to all Australians today, a real character on and off the field. He wasn't the healthiest, loved his beer and cigarettes, weight was up and down like a yoyo. But still way too early.

Ball of the century in 1993...

Skyhook likes this.

The MCG is renaming the Great Southern Stand to the S.K. Warne Stand.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    The MCG is renaming the Great Southern Stand to the S.K. Warne Stand.
    And so they should, in fact, they should have renamed it while he was living.

Being a fellow Melbournian, Warnie is getting a state funeral in Victoria, as announced by premier Dan Andrews.
    Warnie certainly achieved and made use of his short life, way more than most people ever get to enjoy. He really was a rockstar of cricket. And I'm still coming to terms with his bright light now extinguished.
    bdw likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ndt:
    Keep me wondering body is such a mysterious beast, what goes wrong with lifelong sportsmen, many of them regularly exercise and kip fit after retirement as well.. Last year Saurav Ganguly also got heart attack and before that Kapil Dev as well..
    No mystery in Warne's case, he was a player and a major coke fiend.

Heart attack in Samui at 52? Diet pills and heavily cut beak almost certainly on the menu...
    GuruA and ndt like this.

Warne smoked two + packs a day since he was a teen
    Years back a pharma company sponsored him AUD 200k to quit using NRT- he failed
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...ing-habit.html

Skyhook likes this.

Great leg spinner, not so great human being...came across as a real dick when I had the misfortune to meet him at a work function a few years back.