Like Tree64Likes

2022 Consumption Voucher Scheme

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by vmlinuz:
    They're 'consumption vouchers' - they're meant as a combination of a subsidy to retail businesses and a sweetener to individuals...
    That is what they are. But how do they help in Hong Kong as a society?

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    That is what they are. But how do they help in Hong Kong as a society?
    If you spend them in the right place, they help to cover your own expenses and potentially bolster businesses that would otherwise suffer under pandemic pressure. Society benefits from reduction of expenses. Businesses are helped to increase their sales, keeping them afloat, employees employed and potentially pay higher taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by shree711:
    If you spend them in the right place, they help to cover your own expenses and potentially bolster businesses that would otherwise suffer under pandemic pressure. Society benefits from reduction of expenses. Businesses are helped to increase their sales, keeping them afloat, employees employed and potentially pay higher taxes.
    But most people will spend them on the MTR and at Park and Shop. They have done fine during the pandemic. Supermarket and Property plays have been supported already.
    Last edited by East_coast; 07-03-2022 at 07:08 PM.

Agree - it's bad governance. Far better use, and far more targeted use, could be made of that money.

But, I think most on here have long given up on the HK government. I know one person, who is leaving HK, plans to give his octopus card to his ex-helper. One way to help a deserving member of the society.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    But most people will spend them on the MTR and at Park and Shop. They have done fine during the pandemic. Supermarket and Property plays have been supported already.
    If you take a broad non-expat view of HK - most people do nt shop at PNS and the amount spent on the MTR is allowing them to save cash for some other use.

But I am sure yiu have graphs to prove your case
    hike likes this.

Oh goodness me, of course this is how they’re doing it! I missed the last year window by two weeks and now I cant sign up/apply until phase 2?

So do people that didn’t sign up last year or are newly PR get 5000HKD as they only get Phase 2?

Quote Originally Posted by Maybejames:
    Oh goodness me, of course this is how they’re doing it! I missed the last year window by two weeks and now I cant sign up/apply until phase 2?

So do people that didn’t sign up last year or are newly PR get 5000HKD as they only get Phase 2?
    10K but after the first phase cash has been given out.
    Maybejames likes this.

nobody says no to free money.

chuckster007 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy:
    nobody says no to free money.
    Even Superman Li Ka Shing gets 10K
    Free money for all Adult PR's woohooo

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    Just updated my octopus details - I had refunded the old one. Took all of 30 seconds. The system actually works.
    Yep, me too. Actually since I'm not in HK, last year for the original scheme I got 2 coworkers to get 2 octopus cards for me and wife and beep them on the machines, collect and spend $5k each on the octopus, then transfer $3k each into my bank account. Win win.

This year, one of the coworkers still has the octopus card from last year, so doesnt have to do anything to collect again now. But the other coworker already refunded the card, so they just went back to the MTR to get a new one, I just did the re-registration thingy online and looks like we're all set to go. This year is $10k each instead of $5k? Awesome, then for me and wife I should pocket $12k here in Australia and my coworkers in HK will pocket $8k just from doing the beepy thingy for me and helping me to spend the $20k in Hong Kong.
    ndt, chuckster007 and drumbrake like this.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast