• 3 Post By ByeByeEngland
  • 1 Post By aw451
  • 1 Post By ByeByeEngland
  • 2 Post By Giggsy
  • 1 Post By DanielFRA

Quarantine Hotel Refunds (for FDH)

Closed Thread

Quarantine Hotel Refunds (for FDH)

So I booked and paid for the regal airport hotel back in early Feb for my FDH who was arriving in late March. They notified me in late feb that they no longer were an FDH quarantine hotel and would change to an isolation hotel (or something similar).

Fine. I then went and booked the Mariott which at that time was a designated FDH hotel. Full payment was made. Then a week ago they also said they were changing to an isolation hotel (or whatever they call it) and no longer would take FDH quarantinees.

So I had to book a third hotel under the mariott group, for $200 MORE per night (since they jacked it up to take advantage and I was in a panic as my helper was due to arrive soon).

I still haven't got my refunds yet from the regal airport hotel or mariott. They said they would be refunding me but it might take a while.

I've literally paid close to 45k worth of hotels.

Should I call them and get angry? Or just sit here and take it in the arse.

If you cannot afford to pay your statement amount which is due, call your bank/cc company and tell them, you are owed a refund and it hasn't come. They can put transactions on hold (like when you dispute it).

I feel like im effectively loaning them money at 0% interest rate.

I mean, how hard is it to process a refund? They do this ALL the time during normal operations.

this is one of the most scandalous things related to travel and quarantine. Some hotels are awesome when it comes to refunds (note that they still have accounts to run so 4-5 weeks is not an unacceptable time to process a refund). Others are shocking and have a reputation for being shocking. Not forgetting the vast majority are requiring full payment up front for a QT stay (not just a reserve on your credit card).

The most scandalous thing of all is that the government aren't interested citing it as a personal arrangement between prisoner and hotel. I'm sure you will get your refund if you scream loud and long enough.

shri, Giggsy and MABinPengChau like this.

Ask your bank to issue a chargeback. Much easier than having to constantly chase and hopefully the hotel will get their act together for future situations

Giggsy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:
    this is one of the most scandalous things related to travel and quarantine. Some hotels are awesome when it comes to refunds (note that they still have accounts to run so 4-5 weeks is not an unacceptable time to process a refund). Others are shocking and have a reputation for being shocking. Not forgetting the vast majority are requiring full payment up front for a QT stay (not just a reserve on your credit card).

The most scandalous thing of all is that the government aren't interested citing it as a personal arrangement between prisoner and hotel. I'm sure you will get your refund if you scream loud and long enough.
    Can confirm that I already have been charged the full fee. Not a hold.

They said a refund could "take several months".

Its been several months.

Quote Originally Posted by Giggsy:
    Can confirm that I already have been charged the full fee. Not a hold.

They said a refund could "take several months".

Its been several months.
    Best of luck. I’ll ask in the QT Facebook group if someone can get SCMP to raise it. They were never bothered before but in the last couple of weeks not all their articles have toed the party line.
    Giggsy likes this.

The hotel actually called me today to inform me that my FDH can leave after 7 days. Its up to the employers choice. So for any FDH's who arrived before Apr 1, as long as they do 7 days (which fall on or after Apr 1) they can leave quarantine. I forgot to ask them if they would refund me the remaining 7 days but im assuming that its a yes.

Just going to say that the mariott group has also been very professional throughout all this and have even refunded me for the last hotel booking that was cancelled as a result of one of their hotels changing to an isolation hotel.

Whereas the regal airport hotel have taken almost 2 months and still no sign of a refund.

Editor and ByeByeEngland like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Giggsy:
    So I booked and paid for the regal airport hotel back in early Feb for my FDH who was arriving in late March. They notified me in late feb that they no longer were an FDH quarantine hotel and would change to an isolation hotel (or something similar).

Fine. I then went and booked the Mariott which at that time was a designated FDH hotel. Full payment was made. Then a week ago they also said they were changing to an isolation hotel (or whatever they call it) and no longer would take FDH quarantinees.

So I had to book a third hotel under the mariott group, for $200 MORE per night (since they jacked it up to take advantage and I was in a panic as my helper was due to arrive soon).

I still haven't got my refunds yet from the regal airport hotel or mariott. They said they would be refunding me but it might take a while.

I've literally paid close to 45k worth of hotels.

Should I call them and get angry? Or just sit here and take it in the arse.

Just call them, email them, try to get through to the right person.

I made very positive experiences with them: They gave me a refund on an additional week, although they were not obliged to. They funded my cc account on the same day when I moved out without me having to ask them.

Certainly your story doesn't sound good, but from my experience, they seem to have a solid and understandable managment. The General Manager is a French guy, so must be good
    Giggsy likes this.