Like Tree50Likes

FCC HK falls in line

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...gtype=homepage

Original Post Deleted
    Don't be so desperately melodramatic.

You say "none of here..." How many of us here are journalists? Do you even understand what the concept of the Fourth Estate means? Railing against things is in the job description.

"sacrificing their life's careers and families"

Not asking that at all. Just asking the organisation whose remit is in part to stand up for the media - they even have a section on their website dedicated to press freedom - to actually make a stand.

Utter cowards. Doesn't surprise me one bit that you're of the same mind.
    Last edited by FrancisX; 26-04-2022 at 06:25 PM.
    Philips likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RobRoy:
    Haha fair point! Im the first to admit Im not standing on the barricades going to jail for a fight for HK. But there seems to have been some pretty upset people within FCC. Perhaps they were willing to put up a fight and I for one would very much welcome if they dared to take that fight for HK. That fight also does not mean to do something insanely stupid either I presume. Basically going ahead with the award and take it from there.
    Because many journalists are motivated by principles such as truth, fairness and independence. When the organisation that is meant to advocate for them abandons thier principles, they have a right to be upset.

If any of you know anything about the history of the FCC, you will see just why this position is a huge stain on the organisation.

Close it down or rename it.
    MatthieuTofu likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    Mate, you ain't here.

Serious question.

Which of you would sign a petition with your ID verified and made available to the authorities if requested - to bring back the press awards?

If enough of you step up, I'm sure the govt's mind can be changed about considering some of these awards and recognitions seditious.

Does not matter where you are, you just need some existing ties with HK, like a bank account with a decent enough balance etc...

Even better, attach your business cards to the petition to show how much your company supports the petition.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Serious question.

Which of you would sign a petition with your ID verified and made available to the authorities if requested - to bring back the press awards?

If enough of you step up, I'm sure the govt's mind can be changed about considering some of these awards and recognitions seditious.

Does not matter where you are, you just need some existing ties with HK, like a bank account with a decent enough balance etc...

Even better, attach your business cards to the petition to show how much your company supports the petition.
    Seriously? How many of us are journalists?

Like asking how many of us, who aren't teachers, would endure a room full of strangers' kids M-F from 8-3 without being paid for it?

The job does and always has come with more inherent risks than others, that's what, ideally, they knew when they went to school and signed on for after graduation.

To be fair though journalism/ists have taken a real beating the past 5 years in particular, and that's not isolated to HK.
    FrancisX likes this.

I just assumed that there was enough passion in this room a out free speech to support the journalists and help steer the govt and the FCC committee in 5he right direction.

Curious, what percentage of the members of FCC are actually foreign journalists?

Original Post Deleted
    Once again, members wouldn't be putting themselves or their freedom on the line any more than you would if you bought a copy of Apple Daily.

Enough of the straw men.
    Philips likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Curious, what percentage of the members of FCC are actually foreign journalists?
    Don't know the percentage but I would imagine less than 50% easily. It's a club for those who either can't or don't want to join the more prestigious clubs. I know a lot of people joined at corporate level for supposed access to journalists, but I doubt that has been a reality for many years.