Like Tree50Likes

FCC HK falls in line

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    You clearly don't understand.
    Err I guess not. You seem convinced I'm misunderstanding something/not getting it which if I did would overturn my opinion. I just don't think it will. I know FCC is not supposed to be a news media outlet with journalists running around to write articles and news report. I just do not give equal weightage to the presence of FCC in a country+ability to hold its annual awards without fear of legal violation and the actual issue of press freedom and press promotion. Clearly a lot of people do but I don't. It doesn't make a big difference ultimately for me but I would have preferred hearing about them resigning over the FCC board's veto of the statement expressing concern about the arrest of veteran journalist Allan Au than the canning of the awards.

Quote Originally Posted by HSY:
    Err I guess not. You seem convinced I'm misunderstanding something/not getting it which if I did would overturn my opinion. I just don't think it will. I know FCC is not supposed to be a news media outlet with journalists running around to write articles and news report. I just do not give equal weightage to the presence of FCC in a country+ability to hold its annual awards without fear of legal violation and the actual issue of press freedom and press promotion.
    So you are advocating the club should have continued with the awards? I can't follow you train of thought.

I can't follow you train of thought.
    Probably because of progressive deterioration of my engrish writing skills and cognitive abilities. I just tried microwave/heat up my cold coffee by walking over to the fridge to put it in.

I didn't feel strongly about the awards issue itself. I was just annoyed that the issue was treated like some big loss to the human rights and press freedom cause by the resignees themselves. For me,

* Jimmy Lai / Next Digital = fatal crippling blow to press freedom in HK
    * Stand News = devastating blow to the remnants of press freedom in HK
    * FCC's presence in HK during this time = nice to have but nowhere in the same realm
    * FCC board veto on Allan Au statement = would be nice to have but nowhere in the same realm
    * FCC canning awards = Not a serious blow on press freedom in HK. Hearing it in same space as the first 2 just made me wanna flip tables. Hearing about the board veto from the resignees themselves fussing over the awards only made it worse.

What if (hypothetically speaking):
    - this year's awards are "suspended"
    - list of award winners get know anyway and is published on media locally and overseas
    - next year the FCC committee draft a new list for the 2023 press freedom awards
    - next year's awards are also "suspended"
    - award winners list get leaked anyway...and published on media both locally and overseas
    - rinse and repeat

It's clear that soon enough there won't be anyone left to "award", but from the PoV or FCC, sounds like a legit plan?

Original Post Deleted
    Not going to admit it are you?

This guy probably runs from his shadow on a sunny day

Original Post Deleted
    That's absolutely NOT what I said. I said they would not lock up ordinary FCC members (most of whom are not journalists anyway) for the actions of the FCC owners and board. Interesting though how you use brave and principled journalists to defend the cowardly and unprincipled actions of the FCC.

So not only do you like to argue straw men, you also like to argue in bad faith. yes, I can see now how you got your reputation on here.

I'll take an apology by PM if you'd rather keep it private. Thanks.

So instead of discretely and quietly going ahead with the awards, the results of which were still made public, they choose to cancel and the subsequent resignations seem to have drawn far more attention then the original ceremony would and this has now put a bullseye squarely on them.
    MatthieuTofu likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornmeal:
    So instead of discretely and quietly going ahead with the awards, the results of which were still made public, they choose to cancel and the subsequent resignations seem to have drawn far more attention then the original ceremony would and this has now put a bullseye squarely on them.
    Yup - they're learning!

Shooting oneself in the foot and publicity 101 PRC style. The FCC will be well placed to weather the next 27 years!
    MatthieuTofu likes this.

Hard to see why the FCC should get a renewal.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...-lease-renewal

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast