Like Tree8Likes

ESF Wu Kai Sha Kindy Admin - Bribes for Admissions

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Original Post Deleted
    Throwing the first sentence into Google literally gives you the answer within 2 seconds.
    Last edited by jgl; 09-06-2022 at 04:01 PM.

Watching the total lack of coordination between ESF schools, I doubt the admins for one school ever talk to the admins of another.
    I thought they'd centralised the admissions until I saw this news. May be kindys are different - I think they're part of another division of ESF if I recall from 15+ years ago. Which is also why at that point there was no guaranteed placement into ESF primary - just a wink wink nudge nudge.

Beutiful Italy, where people don't know how to drive :)
    Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Throwing the first sentence into Google literally gives you the answer within 2 seconds.
    So if the plumber says "I am very busy this week, but if you pay me $100 more I will put you at the top of my list, and come tomorrow morning", that's illegal??

Quote Originally Posted by Philips:
    So if the plumber says "I am very busy this week, but if you pay me $100 more I will put you at the top of my list, and come tomorrow morning", that's illegal??
    I'd say two things... first of all, no.
    Last edited by shri; 09-06-2022 at 04:26 PM. Reason: :)

Bribery ordinance explains it.

If he is self-employed, no.

If he is an employee but his employer knows about it, no.

If he is an employee and his employer doesn't know about it, yes.

https://www.icac.org.hk/en/law/law/pobopri/index.html

Original Post Deleted
    Nobody was compelled. They could simply have reported it (as one parent did). They gladly entered the conspiracy and are therefore complicit.

Something similar happened a few years back at Harrow, although iirc that was more the admissions head funnelling parent's money into her own account.

What surprises me is that this was still happening last year when I would have imagined it was much easier to get a place.

FTR, one of mine was at that school and I met Fatima. I did not however give her any bribes

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    I'd say two things... first of all, no.
    @shri I saw my comment ten minutes later and was wondering why it was still up

Sure enough, one minute later, and bang!
    shri likes this.