Like Tree8Likes

ESF Wu Kai Sha Kindy Admin - Bribes for Admissions

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

ESF Wu Kai Sha Kindy Admin - Bribes for Admissions

Not exactly Ivy League & no celebrities were harmed in this investigation.

Fatima Rumjahn, 52, former administrator of WKSK employed by ESF Educational Services Limited (ESF), faces a total of 13 charges – eight of conspiracy for an agent to accept an advantage, four of agent accepting an advantage and one of agent soliciting an advantage.

The 10 parents, aged between 34 and 44, are Marissa Choy Wai-yin and her partner Lee Chun-long (the Lees); Cora Lam Man-hei and her husband Cheung Ka-ming (the Cheungs); and six mothers – Tsui Wai-him, Kong Ching-men, Julia Wong Wing-man, Vida Lau Ying-kwan (formerly known as Vida Lau Wai-tak), Ma Yin-man, and Li Jiebing.
    https://www.thestandard.com.hk/secti...ion/11/242487/

No idea except to say it is my favourite stop on the MTR and I wouldn't mind living there if only to be able to say Woo See Shah to taxi drivers because the the way I pronounce my current village is usually met with blank looks from taxi drivers. When they finally arrive at my village the way they pronounce it seems to me to be exactly the way I do!

hike likes this.

I had no idea that ESF kindergarten was that difficult to get into.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    I had no idea that ESF kindergarten was that difficult to get into.
    Depends on the priority you have assigned to your kid's application. I suspect there is a fair bit of pressure from the local community to move kids to international streams.

Also - dumbarse move by the admin involved.

i am very surprised that one person in the whole organization has the sole power to make admission decision

Not sure how the law works but I'd expect that if you've been asked to pay a bribe and you agree, you've conspired with the bribe taker to get some advantages?

If you paid a bribe because you felt compelled to do so, lest you be rejected unfairly or blacklisted - even sued for defamation - you would have been a victim, not a co-conspirator.
    At what point between bribing and chopping someone's head off do you go from being a victim to a criminal?

That would be blackmail? No clue...

Original Post Deleted
    Sued for defamation for refusing to pay a bribe for kindergarten entry?

Admittedly, I only read the article once.

Very surprised it was that competitive to get into ESF still! I was told there were alot of vacancies with so many people leaving.

I suppose its attractive in the sense that your child is guaranteed a spot in primary/secondary school if they are accepted into kindy.

Anybody have first hand experience of the entry requirements these days?

Beutiful Italy, where people don't know how to drive :)

Why is it illegal to offer a bribe? I know it's illegal to offer a bribe to a civil servant, but this is a private organisation...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast