Like Tree33Likes

Things that never happened ...

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hmm there is a difference between that kind of denial and this type of whitewashing by China for me at least.

Putin/Russia denies that Ukraine/Belarus as a state existed. Their version of why it doesn't exist is different from the objective or the opposing side. But their denial is open and more or less have always been denying it. Like Taiwan/China, they claim TW is theirs and more or less have always claimed this. Their version of historical events is always a version (not always the same version) that will support their claim. The textbooks say the social unrest was a threat to national security and external forces were behind it but that is what the HK gov have said every day for the last 3 years! Why wouldn't the HK's textbooks say the same. For these sort of differences, there is no need for the friend protocol, I will just voice my opinion and we can argue openly.

It's the other kind of whitewashing e.g. We fired UN - UN didn't fire HK, HK was never really a British colony because the treaty is unfair and should be void - the type that photoshops their past actions because it was less than above board. It doesn't just omit the detail, it will actively put out a version where they're the good guys. This is the kind of whitewashing that happens when there's a pathetic insecure, scheming conniving weasel somewhere in there - wherever it came from. Too pathetic to accept themselves for what they are and too insecure to not care about other ppl's opinion and too weaselly to improve organically.

Officials refer to this process as “decolonization” (itself a contradiction in terms, for if Hong Kong was never a colony, how can it be decolonized?).
    https://archive.is/67sJ4
    aw451 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    well my colon’s be wrenched a few times over the last couple of years
    aw451, HSY and AsianXpat0 like this.

Outdoor BBQ ban didn’t happen if you’re a restaurant offering outside BBQs

Name:  41AB47B9-FE0D-4101-A8FC-10DD9FB2BB5E.jpeg
Views: 409
Size:  232.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    Officials refer to this process as “decolonization”
    I call it lying, perjury, cover-up and childish. If this conversation took place in a physical forum somewhere in HK between officials, HK nationals and myself, the friend protocol would kick in. I will smile and listen in politely, take out my phone and start texting other common friends abt this latest occurrence of eight-grader syndrome.

Quote Originally Posted by HSY:
    Am I the only one guessing Xi won't come to HK?
    Super interesting question!

My money is still on him coming, too much of a slap in the face to the new boys in charge (overwhelmingly boys, by the way) to pull out early now.

But I think it is a fringe likelihood.

Quote Originally Posted by GentleGeorge:

My money is still on him coming, too much of a slap in the face to the new boys in charge (overwhelmingly boys, by the way) to pull out early now.

What better way to show who’s actually running the show than by not showing up?

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...-not-recognise

Sets things up for this rather grim article I found online ... good long read.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2022...hong-kong.html
    I hope George Orwell's estate is collecting royalties on these textbooks.

Quote Originally Posted by GentleGeorge:

Nothing like showing the new boys who's in charge by NOT showing up.

It's a power move. My boss does it all the time when he doesn't show up to online meetings.

Quote Originally Posted by huja:
    I hope George Orwell's estate is collecting royalties on these textbooks.
    And, Aldous Huxley's for his book, Brave New World.
    ByeByeEngland likes this.