Like Tree33Likes

Things that never happened ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Things that never happened ...

New textbooks on the revamped liberal studies subject in secondary schools now state that Hong Kong was not a British colony, as the Chinese government did not recognise the unequal treaties that ceded the city to Britain, the Post has learned.
    All the new textbooks said Hong Kong was never a British colony as the Chinese government had never recognised the unequal treaties or given up sovereignty over the city.

The textbooks said the United Nations removed Hong Kong from a list of colonies in 1972 after China made the demand.
    https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...-not-recognise

Sets things up for this rather grim article I found online ... good long read.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2022...hong-kong.html

Karen's book is a good read too, and so is Louisa Lim's Indelible City

Gollygordon and Gatts like this.

Yes, and I hear Taiwan has never been an independent country, either. Just, you know, another province...

It's really hard to keep a straight face for these sort of things so I deal with them in my personal life by strictly following the same protocol I deploy for friends.

1. When I hear a friend narrate an event (that I was part of) to other ppl and I notice he has conveniently left out certain details which are not flattering for him or helpful to his point, I roll my eyes mentally but I keep quiet and would never openly expose him in front of others. I gleefully go tell our other common friends about this idiocy separately and we all have a good time laughing about it in private. I suitably bring it up on and off whenever he irritates me on other things so that I get to laugh at him.

2. When I disagree with how my friend is bringing up their kids and I think they are complete nutjobs and the kid is gonna be so messed up, I roll my eyes mentally but I don't try to correct them. And I definitely do not try to educate their kids separately the right way. If the kid comes to ask me about the same topic, I smile and say politely, I don't have the same opinion / I didn't learn it the same way your parents did.

Basically, you gotta let ppl (a country) have their rightful shot at f-king up their own kids (citizens). You can disagree with them but forcing them/trying to shame them into doing it another way ends up with egg on your face. The kids will grow up and there's only so much you can do once that happens. I asked a bunch of adults when I was a kid about this taiwan/china thing and I got a series of answers. Now that I'm a grown up, my view and sentiments on the topic are completely different from all of the answers I got.

Looks like 7 days closed loop for 1st July never happened.

BCD likes this.

That is not going to work. I deploy friend protocol for third party situations - when I'm in 3rd party position, don't have a direct nexus and there's a rightful principal ahead of me (HK and its little kids - they've got parents!).

Friend protocol doesn't apply when I'm not the 3rd party. I'm here in HK, this is a direct confrontation - no such thing as a friend protocol. I am still chanting spells every night to block their hotel toilet pipes.

If it never happened then wtf are we "celebrating" on July 1st?

There is probably no other organization as stubborn, spiteful and arrogant as the pathetic insecure CCP.

Barbaravonbreit, BCD, Sage and 2 others like this.

Big ego + low-self esteem is a deadly combination, doomed to a vicious toxic cycle

Am I the only one guessing Xi won't come to HK? It's a heads or tails thing for me, is everyone guessing he'll be here for sure?

Quote Originally Posted by Crankshaft:
    If it never happened then wtf are we "celebrating" on July 1st?.
    That's why Xi isn't coming.

Another country says that Ukraine (or Belarus) never existed...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast