Like Tree77Likes

Floating Restaurant Jumbo... Sinks

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by chobochobo:
    For the longest time I thought it was like the 'floating restaurant' in Shatin, ie not floating at all, so it was a surprise to see the Jumbo being towed away. I think. I've only ever been once, when entertaining overseas faculty. It was a tourist attraction of sorts but too few locals go there to sustain it. Shame it ended this way, and I can't help but think it was intentional.
    I am sure what of the assessment before the relocation is what if it sinks. So in other words, this should be bound to happen == intentional

Quote Originally Posted by Baklava:
    What a perfect metaphor for HK economy...
    Maybe there’s a silver lining to it, representing “our with the old, in with the new”…

Quote Originally Posted by timothwc:
    Maybe there’s a silver lining to it, representing “our with the old, in with the new”…
    Yep, let's memoryhole our history and replace it with shiny skyscrapers and sanitised textbooks
    shri and hktraveller like this.

If the guys at MOD/Foreign Affairs are diligent, they should take advantage of the situation and hustle to the site right now to plant markers on the seabed around the sunken ship that say PRC territory and property - always helpful when it comes to South China Sea.

Can't believe I'm saying this - it is scummy behaviour (I'm in team intentional) but if that's the extent of it and no insurance scam, then in the grand scheme of things, it could have been worse - at least no oil spill .

It seems such an obvious insurance scam I can't believe it is one.

aw451, Eva C, Sith and 4 others like this.

I have zero experience with how maritime insurance works, but for a giant floating, non-seaworthy barge, I would expect that if this was insured for the move, the insurers would have been very strict on how it was done and what route it took. That route would have probably not included the literal centre of of the South China Sea.

So, probably not an insurance scam. More like the cheapest method of disposal.

aw451 and jabalong like this.

So now has the Aberdeen waters been given the okay to being used as a place to dump unwanted furniture?

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    Was it intentional? gosh, sooo cynical nowadays...
    Most likely. No white knight would be crazy enough to incur that massive upkeeping cost. Now its a museum for ecotours (or gravesite under water)

Quote Originally Posted by tropic:
    So now has the Aberdeen waters been given the okay to being used as a place to dump unwanted furniture?
    Look at a map

https://www.thestandard.com.hk/break...outh-China-Sea

"The iconic restaurant’s kitchen barge capsized on May 31. Its parent company cited lack of funds to maintain the restaurant’s structural integrity amid a three-month shutdown."

Once is careless, twice is....?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast