Like Tree28Likes

Xi Jinping - Day 1 In HK (SCMP)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

I don’t want him to leave at all. Once he leaves, it’ll be speeches from John Lee et al…

MABinPengChau likes this.

Gone…

Name:  1ECC29F0-EA5C-43AD-A1DF-8BBDD0C9BDF6.jpeg
Views: 502
Size:  75.6 KB

MABinPengChau and shri like this.

Summary in nutshell..

President says one country, two systems must be executed comprehensively, with China having overall jurisdiction but city enjoying high degree of autonomy. He also stresses need for patriots in office and upholding of city's free economy and common law system

He also sets out expectations for John Lee administration, stressing efficiency, national identity, integration and solving livelihood issues
    Yes everything in that precise order..

Regina IP interview in the Guardian.

Ip said she believed that if the opposition had won power, “they could lock me in jail”.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...g-mp-regina-ip

While I might want quite a few of the government to see the inside of a prison, I don't think most (if any) would have ended up in jail if (in the fantasy world) the democrats had won power. Makes me wonder what goes on inside the head of people like Ip (but I don't spend too much time thinking about her).

said Ip, who has served as a pro-Beijing legislator in Hong Kong’s government since 1996
    Oh don't be such a drama queen Ms Ip. I can put your fears to rest rightaway - did the HK gov at any point in time between 1996 to ~2019 attempt in any way to isolate and banish pro-establishment politicians from the system or try to jail them for crimes such as breaking the law as it was in effect then? No? Ok then there you have it. No.

Frankly I'm surprised that anyone bothers asking Regina Ip for an opinion.

She is the exco convenor in the new govt. Might be a predictor of times to come... Who knows.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4