Like Tree159Likes

HK 7s - Confirmed for Nov 4-6 (2022)

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

The penny has just dropped for the last of my local friends on how ludicrous an ineffectual the situation is in Hong Kong. Most of them, and my team at work, only really got it after the 5th wave went through. But even after that, every time we’ve discussed this it’s sort of bounced off, and he’s still struggling to process how there are so many cases when everyone is wearing magic mask shields… But if I take him as a barometer I’m not surprised even the very uninquisitive journos we have left here are finding it hard to string a few paragraphs together without questioning the party line.

As unfashionable as it is to quote the great @Sage around here, the lights are finally switching on behind people’s eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Peaky:
    The penny has just dropped for the last of my local friends on how ludicrous an ineffectual the situation is in Hong Kong. Most of them, and my team at work, only really got it after the 5th wave went through. But even after that, every time we’ve discussed this it’s sort of bounced off, and he’s still struggling to process how there are so many cases when everyone is wearing magic mask shields… But if I take him as a barometer I’m not surprised even the very uninquisitive journos we have left here are finding it hard to string a few paragraphs together without questioning the party line.

As unfashionable as it is to quote the great @Sage around here, the lights are finally switching on behind people’s eyes.
    Too true and the simplest barometer has always been the amount of resistance offered up to non mask wearers.

That resistance has been rare even on the MTR for some time now, though it is slightly more common on some buses that carry a higher proportion of especially thick locals to work (Property management types - security guards and building dogs bodies etc)

The whole conversation running in the 'Expats vs Everything' thread is personified perfectly in the covid & mask issue where a widespread inability (or refusal amongst the smarter ones) to think for themselves leads to the dystopian bullshit foisted on HK for the last 2.7 years.

The expats that have supported that bullshit or propped it up with their compliance really need to take a generous slice of the blame for that upon themselves - They're supposed to be the managers and the leaders that step up and apply logic and data and lateral thinking to eek out the best paths forward - They resolutely failed HK society in that.

Whist the penny has dropped way faster amongst expats than locals, even today, at the tail end of this debacle some of the most sheep-like, still attempt to scream about the need to comply and respect local attitudes (which they obviously don't clearly understand if they're still doing so now).

So who will be the last Geoexpater to have their lights switched on?

I know who my money's on.
    aw451 and calcio1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sage:
    Too true and the simplest barometer has always been the amount of resistance offered up to non mask wearers.

That resistance has been rare even on the MTR for some time now, though it is slightly more common on some buses that carry a higher proportion of especially thick locals to work (Property management types - security guards and building dogs bodies etc)

The whole conversation running in the 'Expats vs Everything' thread is personified perfectly in the covid & mask issue where a widespread inability (or refusal amongst the smarter ones) to think for themselves leads to the dystopian bullshit foisted on HK for the last 2.7 years.

The expats that have supported that bullshit or propped it up with their compliance really need to take a generous slice of the blame for that upon themselves - They're supposed to be the managers and the leaders that step up and apply logic and data and lateral thinking to eek out the best paths forward - They resolutely failed HK society in that.

Whist the penny has dropped way faster amongst expats than locals, even today, at the tail end of this debacle some of the most sheep-like, still attempt to scream about the need to comply and respect local attitudes (which they obviously don't clearly understand if they're still doing so now).

So who will be the last Geoexpater to have their lights switched on?

I know who my money's on.
    Tactical vs strategic thinking. Strategic thinking is finding a way out of this situation and saving our economy for the greater good. Tactical is reacting to what's directly in front of your nose, wearing magic talismans, changing the government tactics every other week so nobody knows what the current rules are.

Some people can only work tactically and many will relate to those who are purely tactical even when they may not agree with the tacticians. I think this is what is causing the lights to remain off for so many.
    Sage likes this.

Just received an email that ticket sales go live on Sept 28th. I guess today's leak / announcement has given the organisers more confidence that this is not going to be a total farce.

Peaky likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by aw451:
    Just received an email that ticket sales go live on Sept 28th. I guess today's leak / announcement has given the organisers more confidence that this is not going to be a total farce.
    WHO'S IN?
    Argentina, Australia, Canada, Fiji, France, Great Britain, Ireland, Japan, Kenya, New Zealand, Samoa, South Africa, Spain, USA, Uruguay and our HK heroes.

Sounds like they are tentatively all turning up...
    aw451 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by aw451:
    So the "leak" is just fodder for ticket sales? Or are the tickets fully refundable?

@Sage as always, utter nonsensical BS...

I see the prices are the same as before, still cant eat, have to sit with your mask on and yet if you dont stand up for the HK national anthem you could get filmed by HK police like they were doing at the recent HK-Myanmar football match.

Definitely giving this a wide berth.

Sith, East_coast, aw451 and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Trance Omega:
    I see the prices are the same as before, still cant eat, have to sit with your mask on and yet if you dont stand up for the HK national anthem you could get filmed by HK police like they were doing at the recent HK-Myanmar football match.

Definitely giving this a wide berth.
    Can you sing anti-English or and anti-French songs?

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Can you sing anti-English or and anti-French songs?
    You'll get 50c if you do

Can quite see how the reaction would be in the south stand after 8 hours of drinking with no food and the police go in with cameras to film people breaking the national anthem ordinance.......

Ellenna and rs4 like this.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast