Like Tree43Likes

Shocking death - Hiker Struck by Lightning

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Shocking death - Hiker Struck by Lightning

Young hiker dies after being struck by lightning in Sha Tin – The Standard

What a strange change of weather. The forecast this morning was still full sun and then the forecast quickly changed to Thunderstorm Warning. Early hikers must have been fooled to go out believing it would be a similar day as the whole week has been. I was standing ready to go to the beach when I heard the thunder and re-checked the weather..
    shri, AsianXpat0, Tom007 and 4 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by RobRoy:

What a strange change of weather. The forecast this morning was still full sun and then the forecast quickly changed to Thunderstorm Warning. Early hikers must have been fooled to go out believing it would be a similar day as the whole week has been. I was standing ready to go to the beach when I heard the thunder and re-checked the weather..
    It's never a good idea to go hiking in summer: the risk of heatstroke and being struck by lightning,and flash floods too

When I lived in HK I went swimming in summer and hiking in winter

Lightning usually strikes higher ground and thunderstorms can come out of nowhere

It's a tragedy though

Does the relevant Hong Kong authority explain the dangers of thunderstorms to hikers?

If you go to e.g. Grand Canyon, you’ll see signs “do not hike in thunderstorm”

angeluscomplex likes this.

Seems odd, eh? Four folks hiking, one 'suspectedly' struck by a lightning bolt and the 3 others did not notice. Well, to be fair, perhaps the bolt was a small one although an average lightning bolt releases about 1 million volts of electricity.

Rather like the man holding the smoking gun and is pronounced by the media to be the 'alleged' perpetrator.

IMO, better this way than run-over by a taxi while biking with your kids.

Quote Originally Posted by snjt:
    Does the relevant Hong Kong authority explain the dangers of thunderstorms to hikers?

If you go to e.g. Grand Canyon, you’ll see signs “do not hike in thunderstorm”

The HKO will raise a Thunderstorm warning on their website, their app and other channels. Before doing any outdoor activity it's always advisable to check the conditions and any relevant warnings.
    natino, hike and shri like this.

Quote Originally Posted by aw451:
    The HKO will raise a Thunderstorm warning on their website, their app and other channels. Before doing any outdoor activity it's always advisable to check the conditions and any relevant warnings.
    I hike a lot in the area where this strike took place and always check the weather warnings during the summer. I'm not in HK right now but was it already rainy or did the storm come out of nowhere?
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisX:
    I hike a lot in the area where this strike took place and always check the weather warnings during the summer. I'm not in HK right now but was it already rainy or did the storm come out of nowhere?
    It wasn't forecast well ahead of time and it was an odd storm, lots of thunder with no rain, suddenly tons of rain +wind for short period, then back to lots of thunder with light rain. Lightning strikes were difficult to see but there was a huge number of strikes (relative to size and duration):

Name:  lightning.jpeg
Views: 1153
Size:  252.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisX:
    Storm warning signal was raised at 01:45am according to the article
    hike likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Man:
    It's never a good idea to go hiking in summer: the risk of heatstroke and being struck by lightning,and flash floods too

When I lived in HK I went swimming in summer and hiking in winter

Lightning usually strikes higher ground and thunderstorms can come out of nowhere

It's a tragedy though
    Many people hike throughout the year in HK - You forgot to warn them about covid, you might catch that on the trail and die too.

We get the clearest vis in summer and less busy trails.

But if you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen. Thankfully chefs know better though.
    HK_Katherine and Gollygordon like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast