Like Tree166Likes

Quarantine: 3 Hotel + 4 Home

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Better than nothing I guess but it makes no sense to have a quarantine mixed between hotel and home. Of course many will say that there was never any common sense... You are asking people to move around during the time they might be contagious anyway. What is the purpose of putting people in hotels for 3 days apart from deterrence and putting money in the hotels pocket. At this juncture, if they are adamant with sticking with quarantine, test at the airport and then people do 7 days at home with bracelet. Oh well, let's see if the banker's conference/rugby 7 will bring better news in November

Oh well, let's see if the banker's conference/rugby 7 will bring better news in November
    Don't jinx it.

Quote Originally Posted by DonDiego:
    Better than nothing I guess but it makes no sense to have a quarantine mixed between hotel and home. Of course many will say that there was never any common sense... You are asking people to move around during the time they might be contagious anyway. What is the purpose of putting people in hotels for 3 days apart from deterrence and putting money in the hotels pocket. At this juncture, if they are adamant with sticking with quarantine, test at the airport and then people do 7 days at home with bracelet. Oh well, let's see if the banker's conference/rugby 7 will bring better news in November
    we now have de-facto 3 day quarantine. At least for residents, 4 days without dine in and bars is really okay, and I would not call that quarantine. It is a way to reduce quarantine while not calling it a real reduction, for the hawkish commentators.

of course, for tourists it’s still not enough. If you come as a tourist, you want to eat out obviously.

i see that 3 day Hotel QT as the only way they could have reduced quarantine and find any rationale. The fact that they find a significant number of cases on day 3 is correct. Everything beyond day 3 has zero meaning.

of course, there are more cases in the community than amongst the arrivals, and they already do a test before departure and after arrival, so the whole thing is pointless.

i just hope that this is their way of reducing it further in the future.

So if I want to visit HK for a business trip and attend my office, I can come and spend 3 days in a quarantine hotel and not allowed to leave, then can check out and check in to a 'regular' hotel where I can come and go from as I please, I can go to office and attend meetings and work as normal, but can I go to a restaurant for lunch? Or I need to ask my coworkers to get me some take away and eat it in the office?

Also can I have a beer with @shri after work? We can get from 7-11 and stand on the street drinking beer is OK, but not go inside any bar?

betrman, Peaky, shri and 4 others like this.

And how much will hotels charge for a 3-night stay? The same price as now ~$12 K +?

qhank likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RobRoy:
    Better than the expected with 3+4, I thought it would be 5+2! That said any hotel quarantine is of course still madness but 3+4 is so little madness that medium long holiday trips could be planned! I'll take it for now..
    Exactly, you and many other residents (including me) will plan to revert to nearly back to pre-Covid travel if we only have to quarantine for 3 days. But if arrivals double from what they are now (which still wouldn't be many), there still won't be enough hotel rooms. So we will still not be able to plan last minute travel, we will still struggle to find rooms for families, and we won't be able to avoid the stress of trying to rebook your hotel room if you test positive so need to delay your return. The inflexible policies of most of the hotels also mean that you take a financial risk when booking. But with only 3 days I fear that many of the wealthier residents will book hotel rooms even before their travel plans are confirmed, and not mind taking the hit for 3 nights cancellation fee if they cancel, meaning hotel rooms are even harder to come by...

Nice idea in principle, but in practice it's severely curtailed by limitations on hotel rooms. Personally I'd rather have 7 days quarantine but complete flexibility of when and how I travel.

Slightly confused here (which is my normal state).

If the day of arrival is now day zero when it was previously day 1, have we really gone from 7 days to 3+4 or from 7 days to 4+3 (or 4+4)?

In any case, it's a modest step on the road to quarantine zero.

Quote Originally Posted by traineeinvestor:
    Slightly confused here (which is my normal state).

If the day of arrival is now day zero when it was previously day 1, have we really gone from 7 days to 3+4 or from 7 days to 4+3 (or 4+4)?

In any case, it's a modest step on the road to quarantine zero.
    I was also confused. It's 3 days - as we can now leave during the third day rather than waiting until midnight on the 7th. It's 3 nights, and up to 3 days depending on when you arrived / check out.

Quote Originally Posted by Beanieskis:
    I was also confused. It's 3 days - as we can now leave during the third day rather than waiting until midnight on the 7th. It's 3 nights, and up to 3 days depending on when you arrived / check out.
    Thanks for clarifying.

Quote Originally Posted by traineeinvestor:
    Thanks for clarifying.
    Check post two in the thread. I think it is how I understand it. Also the midnight vs 9am release time.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast