Like Tree94Likes

Health Sec - Further opening up is not a realistic option

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Health Sec - Further opening up is not a realistic option

Spotted in the FT

Hong Kong’s health secretary has played down the prospect of easing Covid-19 restrictions after the city recorded a spike in cases.

“Further opening up is not a realistic option at this point,” said Lo Chung-mau, as he announced that attendees of large events and banquets now must show a negative RAT test before entering venues.

Many in the business sector have been holding out hope that the revival of the city’s rugby sevens tournament and financial summit in November would encourage the government to drop its social distancing restrictions and incoming passenger quarantine.
    (Snippet below is out of date)

https://on.ft.com/3pJNfvF

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Spotted in the FT

(Snippet below is out of date)

https://on.ft.com/3pJNfvF
    Remember that the government will never lie flat……unless you’re over 70 and unvaccinated, in which case it will not only lie flat, it’ll bend the rest of the public over for you so that you can fuck them in the ass while it watches and sniggers in the background.
    natino and JAherbert like this.

Paul Zimmerman either going postal or attempting to create a NFT or something....

Name:  IMG_20220827_044605.jpg
Views: 1179
Size:  933.2 KB

Whether it is realistic depends on your view of reality. When your reality is dependent on Beijing then relaxing restrictions is not realistic, but the same people have a reality that says Hong Kong was not a British colony and that hamsters must be culled and the virus can be controlled by closing beaches.

cookie09 and markranson like this.

So where does this leave us?

Surely they can’t backtrack on the amber code QT free conference ruling? I would still question likely attendance for this from outside of HK/China. So one way or another I think this will go ahead but the desired outcome of promoting HK will spectacularly misfire.

HK 7s. I must admit I’m totally out of the loop on this one. I suspect locals are looking forward to it, masks unless drinking included. I suspect there will be pressure on players to come but who else, in their right mind, is going to travel from abroad? Have I missed updates on this.

Flip flopping. For the first time since coming in some experts are starting to flip flop. Another wave of QT hotels, inflated flights and increase (or no decrease) in social distancing measure will piss off us expats but in the grand scheme of dissatisfaction that means nothing. I suspect the locals will continue their timid acceptance of everything thrown at them.

I had such high hopes with all the slow improvements since July 1st. Seems the bar has been pushed as far as Beijing is going to allow?

markranson and Eamon92 like this.

A medical source confirmed that a government-appointed Covid-19 expert advisory panel was not involved in discussions on the new policies.

Professor Ivan Hung Fan-ngai, a government pandemic adviser, told the Post that the most recent meeting with the government was in July.

Infectious diseases expert Hung said the new measures would allow current social-distancing measures to remain unchanged. However, he said the government should focus on boosting the vaccination rate among the elderly, not total case numbers.

“It is more important to focus on the number of severe cases and mortality rate, rather than the actual number [of cases],” Hung said. “Most elderly were admitted for Covid-exacerbated chronic illness and not Covid pneumonia. Overall, severe cases remain low at 5 to 10 per cent of all cases.”
    https://twitter.com/alvinllum/status/1563100326206484481

https://twitter.com/DrDOwens/status/1563295787055927297

Imo, blaming the unvaccinated/elderly or even experts is to miss the mark on those actually setting the policies driving behaviour (plus let’s face it, those in the first group didn’t ask for protection and pay the requisite penalty anyway) being completely unaccountable.

Driftless policy without a scientific anchor with measures that don’t save those it purports to protect should be seen squarely for what it is. At least we are all patriots I guess.
    markranson and aw451 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:
    HK 7s. I must admit I’m totally out of the loop on this one. I suspect locals are looking forward to it, masks unless drinking included. I suspect there will be pressure on players to come but who else, in their right mind, is going to travel from abroad? Have I missed updates on this.
    I suspect that only the Sevens are only of interest to a subset of local expats. The percentage of the local population that gives a rat's about the Sevens is probably miniscule.
    Crankshaft, shri, Gatts and 6 others like this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast