Like Tree11Likes

HK Gov finds 28 hectares of waterfront in Shatin

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Aren't all big sites mixed usage anyway?
    Looking at what is happening around Ma On Shan, the Sai Sha Road, and Sai Kung there is not an awful lot of additional services or businesses. Infrastructure to get people in and out but that's it. Pretty much all residential.

Are you suggesting the government have wasted billions on caverns to release land in the wrong place?

Or

Are you suggesting the government have wasted billions on caverns to release land that isn't needed as there is no shortage of land??
    No. They are spending money on exactly what they want and they will reap the investment many-fold when they sell the land they have opened up.

Quote Originally Posted by saltywetman:
    Looking at what is happening around Ma On Shan, the Sai Sha Road, and Sai Kung there is not an awful lot of additional services or businesses. Infrastructure to get people in and out but that's it. Pretty much all residential.

No. They are spending money on exactly what they want and they will reap the investment many-fold when they sell the land they have opened up.
    There's congestion for about 20 mins on a few 100m of road in the morning on the East side of the Shing Mun river. A bit busier in Sha Tin but still very good compared to Kwun Tong.

The lack of public transport to Sai Kung is a seperate issue that adding more homes walking distance to NTP will have near zero impact.

There's congestion for about 20 mins on a few 100m of road in the morning on the East side of the Shing Mun river. A bit busier in Sha Tin but still very good compared to Kwun Tong.

The lack of public transport to Sai Kung is a seperate issue that adding more homes walking distance to NTP will have near zero impact.
    I am not sure what point you are making other than underling what I have said, it is already reaching capacity, more people living in the NT is not going to help.

Quote Originally Posted by saltywetman:
    I am not sure what point you are making other than underling what I have said, it is already reaching capacity, more people living in the NT is not going to help.
    There is plenty of infrastructure capacity in the NT East.

Original Post Deleted
    I am suggesting this prime site will sit idle for 20+ years

Original Post Deleted
    They are already doing this. A big section of the river as it opens to Ma Liu Shui between the sewage site and science park is penciled for reclamation. I'm not sure how the existing roads and rail lines will be able to handle such a huge influx of people. Science park is already a bit of a disaster for transport in and out.

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisX:
    They are already doing this. A big section of the river as it opens to Ma Liu Shui between the sewage site and science park is penciled for reclamation. I'm not sure how the existing roads and rail lines will be able to handle such a huge influx of people. Science park is already a bit of a disaster for transport in and out.
    That such a high number of houses have been built without sufficient parking space or an MTR station would appear to be policy so the station can be push further North to allow more reclamation.

The reclamation plans will include a new MTR station on the East Rail line.

" The Government will invite the MTR Corporation Limited (MTRCL) to study the construction of a new Science Park/Pak Shek Kok Station of the East Rail Line"

Name:  300px-Science_Park_Station.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  22.9 KB

Original Post Deleted
    Yes - Like University Station but straighter and closer to houses and offices

The amount of housing near Science Park is already way too much. What at first felt like low density housing is now the opposite. And with very little in the way of facilities. How is it to live there?

Not sure if a new station would be a blessing or a curse.

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisX:
    The amount of housing near Science Park is already way too much. What at first felt like low density housing is now the opposite. And with very little in the way of facilities. How is it to live there?

Not sure if a new station would be a blessing or a curse.
    Name:  mtr_travel_times.png
Views: 141
Size:  289.5 KB

University Station is a minibus ride away. There seems to be room in the time based map to slot a station within walking distance of so many mid-density homes.
    hike likes this.