Like Tree8Likes

Northern Metropolis & The Sawmill

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Northern Metropolis & The Sawmill

Good read with some nice photos.

The New York Times: ‘Wood Is Life’: A Hong Kong Sawmill’s Last Days.

Next month, Mr. Wong will have to give up the sawmill, which his family has owned since the late 1940s. It stands in the way of the Hong Kong government’s $13 billion plan to turn a quiet stretch of villages and wetlands into what it calls the Northern Metropolis, featuring tech start-ups, eco-tourism, housing for 2.5 million and easy access to Shenzhen, the city across the border in mainland China. Mr. Wong petitioned the authorities to spare Chi Kee, but in June, he said he had no choice but to shut it down.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/28/b...g-sawmill.html
    chingleutsch likes this.

(Archive.IS is not working for me .. can someone please put the link through it and post it here?)

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    (Archive.IS is not working for me .. can someone please put the link through it and post it here?)
    How's this?
    https://web.archive.org/web/20220829...g-sawmill.html
    shri likes this.

An expediated plan to create new Hong Kong, closer to heart/hand/fist/slap/stick whatever full of patriots and zombies, Kai Tak CBD2 plan will swim along with Cruise terminal, Hong Kong island will be new Sham Shui Po/ Mong kok Slum (Bye bye to Colonial legacy and all), Dark side will be new bright side and vis a vis..

PS This is half joke, have a strong feeling this city is moving north faster than we think..

Quote Originally Posted by ndt:
    PS This is half joke, have a strong feeling this city is moving north faster than we think..
    The adminostration never moved south to the city... Just a realignment.

Did you have to tak this opportunity to call bright side a dark side and mid-levels a new mong kok once!!

The sawmill

I wanted to love this business and ordered some wood shelves for my cats. Order details all communicated by native Canto speaking cat dad. End result is we got very very rough unfinished wood boards with suspicious green and blue stains. Said boards started bending as soon as we took them in, and have now also started cracking and breaking.

Skyhook, Javatar and East_coast like this.

One of my friends is a very keen and constant woodworker, and he visited once news of the impending closure broke. He came away utterly unimpressed- they were selling mediocre wood for a lot of money.

@Ellenna sounds like they sent you wood that was still wet.

Paxbritannia likes this.

Headline: Chancer lumberjack entrepreneur cuts beams, planks, corners

Ellenna likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Off topic but this could mean you are using the Cloudflare DNS. Archive.is blocked Cloudflare because some settings CF put in to increase privacy mess with Archive.is CDN

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast