Like Tree31Likes

Poor response to disabled kid at HKIA

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Poor response to disabled kid at HKIA

Taken from the FB HK Quarantine Support Group forum

We arrived in the Hong Kong airport yesterday. This is a photo of where our disabled son slept last night. Our reason to leave was to see family we had not seen in over three years. For approximately a month we have petitioned the DOH to grant an exemption to our nine year old son who has severe autism, ADHD and is a member of the non speaking community.

Acccording to his doctors, being confined to a small room would lead to self-harm, harming others, and escaping quarantine, and we fully documented this in our petition to the DOH. Diagrams of our home, square footage and full personal details of all inhabitants of the home and his caregivers were given to the DOH. The DOH refused to grant an exemption prior to arrival (despite granting pre-arrival exemptions to Nicole Kidman and other wealthy people who are not severely disabled).

One particularly difficult incident was when a DOH officer asked why our son arrived in Hong Kong given the quarantine requirement. Given he was born in Hong Kong, his father is a Hong Kong citizen and this is his home and he has a legal right to return, we were surprised by this line of questions.

Upon arrival my husband and son were processed as normal, so following the doctor’s recommendation did not agree to go to the hotel so that he would not be confined. Multiple petitions throughout the day and night were ignored or punted without accountability to one person after another.

My husband and son were forced to sleep on the cold floor of the airport because no government employee would make a decision. At 4 am, my husband relinquished and came to the hotel quarantine facility because being forced to sleep on a concrete floor because bureaucrats refused to make a decision was inhumane punishment.

At approximately 11:30 am, this morning, my son's home quarantine exemption was approved by the government. While this has a somewhat good ending, we believe this absurd situation needs to be discussed and addressed. The effect of this policy is that disabled persons are unable to come home to Hong Kong, and that must not be the case.

It is a human right to be able to return to your residence, even if you are disabled.

Last edited by shri; 30-08-2022 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Formatting
    Rob2020 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Taken from the FB HK Quarantine Support Group forum

We arrived in the Hong Kong airport yesterday. This is a photo of where our disabled son slept last night. Our reason to leave was to see family we had not seen in over three years. For approximately a month we have petitioned the DOH to grant an exemption to our nine year old son who has severe autism, ADHD and is a member of the non speaking community.

Acccording to his doctors, being confined to a small room would lead to self-harm, harming others, and escaping quarantine, and we fully documented this in our petition to the DOH. Diagrams of our home, square footage and full personal details of all inhabitants of the home and his caregivers were given to the DOH. The DOH refused to grant an exemption prior to arrival (despite granting pre-arrival exemptions to Nicole Kidman and other wealthy people who are not severely disabled).

One particularly difficult incident was when a DOH officer asked why our son arrived in Hong Kong given the quarantine requirement. Given he was born in Hong Kong, his father is a Hong Kong citizen and this is his home and he has a legal right to return, we were surprised by this line of questions.

Upon arrival my husband and son were processed as normal, so following the doctor’s recommendation did not agree to go to the hotel so that he would not be confined. Multiple petitions throughout the day and night were ignored or punted without accountability to one person after another.

My husband and son were forced to sleep on the cold floor of the airport because no government employee would make a decision. At 4 am, my husband relinquished and came to the hotel quarantine facility because being forced to sleep on a concrete floor because bureaucrats refused to make a decision was inhumane punishment.

At approximately 11:30 am, this morning, my son's home quarantine exemption was approved by the government. While this has a somewhat good ending, we believe this absurd situation needs to be discussed and addressed. The effect of this policy is that disabled persons are unable to come home to Hong Kong, and that must not be the case.

It is a human right to be able to return to your residence, even if you are disabled.

This is Hong Kong, what did you expect? Efficiency?
    Cheeky Kiwi and mrgoodkat like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutark:
    This is Hong Kong, what did you expect? Efficiency?
    may be some humanity.. well you are right this is HongKong
    Mrs. Jones likes this.

It's not great, but it's not too bad either. Took a few hours - I'm not sure who would be expected to make the decision at 4am - but worked out in the end.

Clearly the decision should have been taken well in advance of arrival. But again, Hong Kong...

Gollygordon likes this.

Sue for damages.

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisX:
    It's not great, but it's not too bad either. Took a few hours - I'm not sure who would be expected to make the decision at 4am - but worked out in the end.

Clearly the decision should have been taken well in advance of arrival. But again, Hong Kong...
    Am I understanding the situation correctly. They left HK knowing they didn’t have an exemption then came back and complained upon arrival? Apologies if I have that wrong but it puts a different perspective on it. Nevertheless there should be 24 hour coverage.

It certainly sounds much easier being an absentee parent than having to deal Hong Kong style cannot'ing.

Mrs. Jones likes this.

I feel for the parents and the child. As much as we would all like HK to operate differently, those of us who have even spent a little time in the Fragrant Harbor know that bureaucracy is slow and rigid.

Of course no government worker would make a decision. It's not what they do. They follow the book without any critical thinking, incentive to make a decision or desire to solve a problem. It's not what they do. That has always been the case. A worker can only be punished if he goes off script - not rewarded.

It's mind-boggling that the father, a HK citizen, expected anything less than the eventual outcome.

tf19 likes this.

The world is normal outside of Hk

Hkemail888 and chuckster007 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by rs4:
    The world is normal outside of Hk
    HK is unique and normal with Chinese characteristics...
    Cheeky Kiwi and tf19 like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast