Like Tree197Likes

Sept 2022 - HK Covid News & Issues

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

The only thing coherent while not losing face would be no quarantine and a yellow code for about 7 days, or ideally 5 days. Hopefully not more than two lots of mandatory PCR testing... day 3 and day 6 I guess.

Still utterly unworkable for tourists staying in hotels though, and makes biz trips dull as hell.... no one wants to have to do room service in a tiny hotel for a week.

shri, vmlinuz, Anahan and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Peaky:
    The only thing coherent while not losing face would be no quarantine and a yellow code for about 7 days, or ideally 5 days. Hopefully not more than two lots of mandatory PCR testing... day 3 and day 6 I guess.
    I think residents in HK who need to travel for leisure or business could deal with that. Inbound business travellers .. don't think so.
    bdw, north2, BCD and 4 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Peaky:

Still utterly unworkable for tourists staying in hotels though, and makes biz trips dull as hell.... no one wants to have to do room service in a tiny hotel for a week.
    The HKSAR government can also point to Hong Kong's achievements and the science:

1. high vaccination rate

2. improved capacity and capability of the medical industry to deal with cases

3. improved processes for protecting the vulnerable

4. reduced severity of currently circulating strains

5. most importantly, Singapore has opened up and we like to emulate Singapore.

These provide ample justification for saying that the covid zero policy has been effective in protecting the people of Hong Kong but is no longer necessary as the situation and circumstances have changed.

Note: I'm not saying I agree with all of these 100% but they are all true to at least some extent and provide a credible basis for HK to back away from Covid-zero without losing face.
    ByeByeEngland and Beanieskis like this.

Stats in deaths by vaccine type..

https://twitter.com/kjoules/status/1...PriZ2boV0c2XRQ

Beanieskis likes this.

I fell into Aaron’s world again. I must stop doing that! But he has a point. I think LHS is going to be with us for a very long time.

https://twitter.com/tripperhe...35047865741315

Don't worry, quarantine will end for covid just in time to START quarantine for monkeypox!

north2 and Mrs. Jones like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Comforting to know that nearly all deaths these days are not from covid but something else...cancer, heart problems, traffic accidents etc.
    Basically if you had covid in the last 28 days fully recovered and then got hit by the Mong Kok-Sai Kung minibus, you will still go down as a covid death. Total Bollocks!
    statman likes this.

Happy New Year

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Any idea what does this bit means?

"Hong Kong, Implied vaccine effectiveness against death based on CFRs, age 70+, 5th wave to Aug 31"

Are all the other numbers (which I think comes to 59 in total) above it for people aged 70+ or is the comment about 70+ age looking at the subset of 59 deaths?

The issue here is that the vast majority of people over 70 years of age are on Sinovac, so the deaths amongst the elder vaccinated population would be biased towards that vaccine.

It looks like the information about vaccine type and uptake by age is now hidden somewhere (used to be on the government covid site landing page), but I think that the skew in the elderly was perhaps 3:1 or 4:1, which would on the face of it indicate that both vaccines are roughly on par, or even biased against Pfizer.

Not enough info in the tweet, which is not surprising.
    Last edited by jgl; 07-09-2022 at 11:35 AM.

Weird brown nose attempt...

Name:  IMG_20220907_210922.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  1.04 MB

MABinPengChau likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast