Like Tree42Likes

Expat Pilot Commits Suicide

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Many possible factors. It's been a stressful few years for pilots, the relationship problems could just be an additional problem in a pile of others. None of us can know the true cause just by reading news articles.

shri, LetsDiscuss and Beanieskis like this.

Like most of us here for a long time, come across a number of pilots over the years. Even had some as friends (but lost contact). They were usually a very happy bunch, great packages of housing salary, a lot of free time in between flights etc.

Two weeks ago I was in Wan Chai a Thursday night, got unsually drunk and we had like 5 Cathay pilots next to us. Started chatting a bit. I never seen such a bitter bunch of pilots ever before. These were the white male 45-55y group, they had all worked 15y plus as Cathay pilots. They were telling me, never fly Cathay, its not safe anymore. We are all quitting. Fuck Cathay etc..

I had a hard time feeling super sorry for them, knowing what kind of life they enjoyed these past 20 years. But still, end of an era..

Rob2020 likes this.

We are all quitting. Fuck Cathay etc..
    Yeah right ... Should have done that a while back when shit started to go wrong.

Nothing to be bitter about .. they've made their cash and should be grateful for it. Yeah, they're getting the short end of the stick now.. but lots of folks are.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Yeah right ... Should have done that a while back when shit started to go wrong.

Nothing to be bitter about .. they've made their cash and should be grateful for it. Yeah, they're getting the short end of the stick now.. but lots of folks are.
    But are there any other professionals who has to deal with a permanent 30-40% pay cut and endless quarantine and testing?

I think anyone who signed a contract and has to witness their benefits being eroded away bit by bit over 10, 20, 30 years will feel hard done by.
    shri, Mary 2 and z754103 like this.

Tragic loss of life, RIP

On the broader pilot issue, why are there still pilots in HK who are not flying? The rest of the world is crying out for pilots, surely they have left by now if Cathay are not using them?

Interesting that in a thread about a local couple jumping to their deaths, a lot of it revolves around the selfishness and danger to others of jumpers but when it's an expat pilot, it's about how tough COVID measures are on expats...

Morrison and rs4 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DonDiego:
    Interesting that in a thread about a local couple jumping to their deaths, a lot of it revolves around the selfishness and danger to others of jumpers but when it's an expat pilot, it's about how tough COVID measures are on expats...
    Don't think he landed on a school bus... But yeah go on..

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Don't think he landed on a school bus... But yeah go on..
    Fair point but I doubt that was by design...

Quote Originally Posted by DonDiego:
    Fair point but I doubt that was by design...
    Different week, different internet response. But there were some pretty significant differences with that other story. Most salient in my mind being that the other couple planned it out, then went to someone elses' apartment to do it. Oh, and of course the school bus thing. I don't think this is an expat bias thing, the way you are trying to portray it.
    Crankshaft and Mrs. Jones like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Corrib:
    Tragic loss of life, RIP

On the broader pilot issue, why are there still pilots in HK who are not flying? The rest of the world is crying out for pilots, surely they have left by now if Cathay are not using them?
    The junior pilots don't have enough useful hours to go anywhere else. You also need a different licence for the US and Europe and the right to work there, which many don't have. The rest have pretty much already left.

There are CX Boeing 777 pilots who have not flown for over 2.5 years and will not fly until these mutts get rid of quarantine completely.
    Mrs. Jones likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast