Like Tree2Likes

Crossing Roads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Last edited by ArrynField; 15-10-2022 at 07:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ArrynField:
    Why is there a sudden urge to sprint across without looking?
    I had the exact same thought... Kids wander off in a sec and don't notice their surroundings but this isn't that sort of situation for a lot of the vids I see esp the last boy. Mum and him are stationary and he suddenly decides to take off to cross the road on his own. I don't see this happening much when they're walking on pathways..so anyway if he's sprinting instead of normal walking, that means he knows this is a road with cars to avoid so why is he not looking....

Quote Originally Posted by sarsi:
    I had the exact same thought... Kids wander off in a sec and don't notice their surroundings but this isn't that sort of situation for a lot of the vids I see esp the last boy. Mum and him are stationary and he suddenly decides to take off to cross the road on his own. I don't see this happening much when they're walking on pathways..so anyway if he's sprinting instead of normal walking, that means he knows this is a road with cars to avoid so why is he not looking....
    I don’t think we really need to question it do we? To me it’s pretty obvious.

But why the urge only at road crossings...I always see them walking nicely beside their adult in other places or running amok normally. No sudden 50m short sprint... Is this a kid thing in hk like how kids always will leap over drains and barriers just for shits n giggles

There is a very large disconnect in this city between those who drive cars and those who don't. Since the vast majority of the public do not own cars, they don't really understand how to behave around the road and cars. It's simply not part of their consciousness. Compare this to countries where the majority of the public own cars or move around in cars. What you see in those places is that both pedestrians and drivers know each other's perspectives as they have been on both ends frequently.

This becomes a lot worse among the elderly who may pay less attention to things. What I find extraordinary is that very slow walking elderly folks jaywalk!

But doesn't it also look like once they're at a crossing, they suddenly get an urge to make a run for the border...

Ignore the discussion abt cultural differences - maybe we should start teaching kids to put their hand up first before and while crossing road.. around 0:19.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MadeMeSmile...ross_the_road/

This urge to 50m short sprint when at edge of road.. The running means someone already advised them to hurry up when crossing roads bcos of cars. So it's either they don't get to be out and abt by themselves and see it as fun (typical kid thing) or they don't know the how. Like driving blindspot..you actually have to turn and look, can't just rely on your peripheral vision..so..🙋🚗😅?

😂..

Name:  IMG-20221109-WA0004.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  19.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by sarsi:
    Ignore the discussion abt cultural differences - maybe we should start teaching kids to put their hand up first before and while crossing road.. around 0:19.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MadeMeSmile...ross_the_road/

Had this happen recently while driving in Europe (Italy I think) It was really weird having 3 people (I seem to remember 2 were adults) holding their hands up, waiting until I had come to a complete stop before eventually starting to cross the road (it was a zebra crossing). Bloody annoying they were!
    qhank likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast