Like Tree71Likes

Helper Shortage in HK

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. #11

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Pampanga, Philippines
    Posts
    27,710
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumbler:
    One of the agencies that I used told me that if it's first job in HK, they will have to go back to Philippines first if they broke contract. And the backlog is due to Philippines side processing time. Not sure if this is true though.
    Possible, even probable given Philippine bureaucracy, but I have seen nothing reported here.

    Half the helpers in Hong Kong are from Indonesia aren't they? So any delay in processing in the Philippines would only delay half the helpers surely?
    jimbo_jones likes this.

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,032
    Quote Originally Posted by Jontol:

    Knowing the general economics (which is my subject) - the salary is in this range for a reason. if it goes up, less people will be able to afford, and many helpers may go job less.

    hope this is fine.
    Everything is based on supply and demand. And its obvious the supply is low and demand remains high. You cannot compare other countries given HK had positioned itself in the worst situation with their covid measures.

    Where did you study econ?
    jimbo_jones and Crankshaft like this.

  3. #13

    Join Date
    May 2021
    Posts
    739

    Moral policing at its best, classic Geo..


  4. #14

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    23,416
    Quote Originally Posted by Jontol:

    if it was a sarcasm, just for reference, Average salary for domestic helper in Singapore is SGD597 (i.e. HKD 3326) and Dubai is AED 1830 (i.e. HKD 3910). I think HK is in same bracket as these two places rather than other places.
    Minimum helper salary in Japan is 200,000 yen a month, about 11k HKD. Most earn more. Expand your brackets lol
    qhank, jimbo_jones and Gatts like this.

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    11,447
    Quote Originally Posted by ndt:
    Moral policing at its best, classic Geo..
    It's not so much moral policing, as a thread that makes absolutely no sense. OP claims to be in economics, but doesn't understand the basics supply and demand. He seems to be confusing it with price fixing. This is stuff that we covered in high school.

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Jul 2022
    Posts
    92

    We are seeing this in many countries, there appears to be a shortage particularly with low wages workers. I say good on them for those who can take advantage of it. Hope they milk it as much as they can...Si se puede..Viva la revolucion!

    Plutark likes this.

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,889
    Quote Originally Posted by DonDiego:
    We are seeing this in many countries, there appears to be a shortage particularly with low wages workers. I say good on them for those who can take advantage of it. Hope they milk it as much as they can...Si se puede..Viva la revolucion!
    I see a lot of adverts on Facebook for people leaving and explaining the soon to be availability of their helper.

    I don’t know what the demand side is like at snapping them up, but supply shortages must be tempered to some extent by the number of affluent expats leaving.

    Naturally we can expect most helpers would seek 1st to work for English-speaking expats, And with good reason it seems.

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,032
    Quote Originally Posted by Sage:
    I see a lot of adverts on Facebook for people leaving and explaining the soon to be availability of their helper.

    I don’t know what the demand side is like at snapping them up, but supply shortages must be tempered to some extent by the number of affluent expats leaving.

    Naturally we can expect most helpers would seek 1st to work for English-speaking expats, And with good reason it seems.
    I saw some person on geo trying to hire a third helper. Fucking these people?
    Crankshaft likes this.

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    243
    Quote Originally Posted by D.YU:
    I saw some person on geo trying to hire a third helper. Fucking these people?
    What is so bad about that? Maybe that means each helper isn't overextended or overworked. They're providing jobs for more people that want them. What is your argument exactly?

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    1,075
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcdavid:
    What is so bad about that? Maybe that means each helper isn't overextended or overworked. They're providing jobs for more people that want them. What is your argument exactly?
    No particular problem but it did make me chuckle that a couple with one (non baby) child and one dog needs three full time live in (non driver) staff to help them survive.
    Crankshaft likes this.