Like Tree71Likes

Helper Shortage in HK

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Peaky:
    No particular problem but it did make me chuckle that a couple with one (non baby) child and one dog needs three full time live in (non driver) staff to help them survive.
    Ah, see you left out those details. It could have been a family with three or four kids (including a baby or two), ailing grandparents, working parents, and dogs and cats for all I knew.

Anyway, maybe they have a huge house, maybe the kid is SEN or a holy terror, maybe the dog is huge/old, maybe they work 12 hour days, maybe they give their helpers lots of time off and low working hours, maybe, maybe, maybe.

I agree that it sounds excessive but all the power to them I guess.
    Mrs. Jones and Editor like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sage:

Naturally we can expect most helpers would seek 1st to work for English-speaking expats, And with good reason it seems.
    Sliding the worm on the hook and now that the bait is set, time for trolling... Oh let's bite, it's saturday morning. Let's see... What is an English speaking expat? Where do Indians fit in? How about Singaporeans and Malaysians? There are hundreds of thousands of Chinese Canadians in HK, do they qualify or they are not the right color? How about the dastardly French and Germans? Do tell the superior cultures...

Quote Originally Posted by Peaky:
    No particular problem but it did make me chuckle that a couple with one (non baby) child and one dog needs three full time live in (non driver) staff to help them survive.
    Said couple probably also posts anonymously on DB Mums for advice as they have absolutely no clue why their child does not seem to want to interact with them compared to all their helpers.

As Mcdavid mentioned, at least their lazy useless degeneracy stimulates the helper job economy.

Quote Originally Posted by Crankshaft:
    Said couple probably also posts anonymously on DB Mums for advice as they have absolutely no clue why their child does not seem to want to interact with them compared to all their helpers.

As Mcdavid mentioned, at least their lazy useless degeneracy stimulates the helper job economy.
    We know people with multiple helpers, for whatever reason. Their relationship with their children do not seem any worse than 'normal' families with one or zero helpers.

If anything, they are generally pretty good.

Parents with multiple helpers seem to be a easy target to stereotype, but in our experience, the stereotype simply hasn't held true.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    We know people with multiple helpers, for whatever reason. Their relationship with their children do not seem any worse than 'normal' families with one or zero helpers.

If anything, they are generally pretty good.

Parents with multiple helpers seem to be a easy target to stereotype, but in our experience, the stereotype simply hasn't held true.
    Fair enough. Having a helper/family member ratio of 1:1 in this case is just ridiculous imo.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    You can overstate the importance of Hong Kong in the Filipino labour market. Last month overseas Filipinos sent home over USD 3 billion. What tiny percentage of that came from Hong Kong do you think?

Saudi Arabia has just been reallowed to employ Filipinos after new protection has been put in place so the helpers could move there. Helpers here have just had a 25% increase in minimum wage, still pitifully low (about HKD 700 per month) but at least they can be with their families.
    Do you mean 7000 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    Do you mean 7000 ?
    If they could get 7k a month at home do you think they would leave their children and families behind to work 16 hours a day in Hong Kong for less?

Ah, 700 on Pillipines, ok

Quote Originally Posted by Mcdavid:
    What is so bad about that? Maybe that means each helper isn't overextended or overworked. They're providing jobs for more people that want them. What is your argument exactly?
    It was a joke. Jesus, people here are all Karens at a comedy club

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    If they could get 7k a month at home do you think they would leave their children and families behind to work 16 hours a day in Hong Kong for less?
    16 hours a day? I better start cracking the whip with mine then since I'm not getting anywhere near that mileage.
    hullexile likes this.