Like Tree40Likes

Airlines Returning to HK

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

What interest me more especially with winter coming are regional flights to interesting destinations around Asia like HK Express or Air Asia to Chiang Mai, Da Nang or Taichung for example. That will make HK a lot more livable if we can get away for long weekends or a week every couple of months.

drumbrake likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DonDiego:
    What interest me more especially with winter coming are regional flights to interesting destinations around Asia like HK Express or Air Asia to Chiang Mai, Da Nang or Taichung for example. That will make HK a lot more livable if we can get away for long weekends or a week every couple of months.
    Not in my wildest dreams

BA were already planning to resume in December before the announcements yesterday.

CX flights might stay expensive for a while because the incompetent management made sure to do their part in getting rid of too many pilots AND trainers. Pilots leaving due to restictions is just half the story.

The result of a once great airline being run into the ground by degenerates and bean counters.

Pilots leaving due to restRictions is just half the story.

Not forgetting that the validity of the "driving license" for those up at the "sharp end" is terminated if they have NOT been flying for an extended period of time, and then they have to re-pass all (?) their flight tests before they can take command again.

Quote Originally Posted by DonDiego:
    Same here, I have a trip booked to Kota Kinabalu with AirAsia over Chinese New Year, basically I have taken a bet they will re-instate flights until then.
    DonDiego likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenCatalonia:
    Pilots leaving due to restRictions is just half the story.

Not forgetting that the validity of the "driving license" for those up at the "sharp end" is terminated if they have NOT been flying for an extended period of time, and then they have to re-pass all (?) their flight tests before they can take command again.
    The amount of training required to get current again sort of depends on how long they have been out for. There are many CX pilots, especially on the 777, that have not flown for over 2 years. To get back to normal again they have to do six or seven simulator sessions (4 hours each), emergency/crew resource management renewal and I think 4 training flights plus a check flight. Last two mentioned are done on normal scheduled flights with pax.
    hullexile likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Loads of people I know are happily flying in and out of the UK on holidays, the initial problems seemed solved loads of people flying in and out of the Philippines without issues.
    AMS still a mess: KLM flight cancelled and rebooking added a leg, which resulted in luggage not turning up. This was two weeks ago.

LGW acceptable except immigration. No problems if your passport works with the auto gates, but my experience is that those needing a counter (i.e. with kids) and from any "friendly nation" (USA, Canada, Singapore, EU etc...) were faced with a 45 minute wait. This was three weeks ago. Ironically, those from "less chummy regions" (e.g. Malaysia, Hong Kong, China etc...) breezed through a separate set of counters as there were very few people. Amusingly, an Iraqi or Afghani could enter London 10x quicker than a British family with children.

LCY were amazing two weeks ago: but it's a tiny airport... what can go wrong? Security took 8 minutes. No queue for check-in.

Passed in+out of GVA twice in the last month: generally smooth in all instances. No hints of any problem there.

Good summary of what various airlines are doing.

CNN: Airlines add flights to Hong Kong but the aviation hub won't be back to normal anytime soon.
    https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/26/busin...ifted-intl-hnk

Trance Omega and Sage like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Good summary of what various airlines are doing.

CNN: Airlines add flights to Hong Kong but the aviation hub won't be back to normal anytime soon.
    https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/26/busin...ifted-intl-hnk
    What???
    But he cautioned that “restrictions for non-locally based air crews remains,” referring to the need for staff not based in Hong Kong to still quarantine in hotels.
    Foreign crew still have to Q.??? Ridiculous and more bullshit that restricts flight availability.

Naturally restrictions should never have been made in the first place, they have been spectacularly unsuccessful at preventing spread and very successful at wrecking many other aspects of life, so more bullshit and faux protectionism should be expected.

But FFS, it's a never ending stream.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast