Like Tree23Likes

TW/TM bike path - your views sought

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DonDiego:
    Anyone experienced or fast enough to go above 25kph should be on the road and not on cycling paths.
    Looking at the people who recorded their speed between TaiPo and Science Park cyclepath ~70% were going over 25kph over the last couple of days. Around 10,000 different people recorded their speed this year.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Looking at the people who recorded their speed between TaiPo and Science Park cyclepath ~70% were going over 25kph over the last couple of days. Around 10,000 different people recorded their speed this year.
    People recording their speeds are more likely to be experienced riders and they do not necessarily represent the majority of users. In my opinion, the problem should not be addressed by accommodating them and building costly add ons when roads can be used but by enforcing/publicizing speed limits and getting faster riders to recognize that recreational paths should not be used in that manner to ensure the safety of the majority of users. That's what is done in most urban areas around the world. If anything, I'd much rather see dedicated separated waking paths to ensure pedestrians and cyclists are not in the same space. In an ideal world with unlimited money and space, sure everyone could have their way but it's not realistic particularly in Hong Kong. There is a reason why laws are being drafted about e bikes and at what speed the assistance should stop... It is to prevent too many users going over 25kph on recreational paths.

https://www.welovecycling.com/wide/2...ike-in-europe/

People recording their speeds are more likely to be experienced riders and they do not necessarily represent the majority of users. In my opinion, the problem should not be addressed by accommodating them and building costly add ons when roads can be used
    Adding a few extra feet to the width to a bike path to make it usable to all does not seem an extreme measure.

That's what is done in most urban areas around the world. If anything, I'd much rather see dedicated separated waking paths to ensure pedestrians and cyclists are not in the same space. In an ideal world with unlimited money and space, sure everyone could have their way but it's not realistic particularly in Hong Kong. There is a reason why laws are being drafted about e bikes and at what speed the assistance should stop... It is to prevent too many users going over 25kph on recreational paths.

https://www.welovecycling.com/wide/2...ike-in-europe/
    That's what is done in most urban areas around the world.
    Not really. Dedicated road space is given to reduce the mingling of road users at different speeds

Name:  CNJ-Image-2020-07-09-at-10.28.39-1.jpeg
Views: 149
Size:  261.4 KB

Name:  800px-Solomon_Curve.png
Views: 145
Size:  69.1 KB

There is a reason why laws are being drafted about e bikes and at what speed the assistance should stop... It is to prevent too many users going over 25kph on recreational paths.
    HK Gov looked at this and decided the best solution was to ban them outright even though adoption rates across the globe is going up and examples of 'better' lawmaking with pedal assist speed limitations exist. Not aware of any work on improving HK laws as mandatory for all (unenforceable?) bike helmets is the key legislation being drafted.

Let's be honest segregation of fast and slow lanes would only work here if enforced by a shouting policeman every 50ft. When the way is clear I'm happy to cycle fast but you really do need to apply the same caution to passing every leisure rider as if they are a two year old... they may randomly stop, veer across, or do anything else mad without looking at any moment.

A few cycle lanes aren't going to change the basic fact that no one here ever does the basic learning of awareness that you get growing up in a less congested environment riding (and falling off) a bike outside your house or at the local park.

FrancisX likes this.

HK doesn't like cycling..not as a form of commute. They encourage it but just don't cycle too near where they can see you or even worse share same path. Best if you just cycle in a park round and round safely.

I always sense a collective exasperated tsk from ppl whenever they see a cyclist, even kiddy bikes, appearing.

Hong Kong doesn't have the climate, the topography or the space for cycling - schemes like this are a waste of money.

qhank likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    Hong Kong doesn't have the climate, the topography or the space for cycling - schemes like this are a waste of money.
    What a pile of nonsense, as usual. Cycling is incredibly popular in the NT. It's great exercise and the government should be applauded (rare I know) fo the efforts it is making on creating cycle path infrastructure. Money well spent for once.

Weather can be tough in summer, (as it is in many countries) but topography in the NT is ideal and there is plenty of space.

Any chance we can have some kind of pause on people not living in HK telling people in HK how things are (or aren't as in this case)?

Are there no expat forums in Japan?
    Mat and calmathetic9 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sarsi:
    HK doesn't like cycling..not as a form of commute. They encourage it but just don't cycle too near where they can see you or even worse share same path. Best if you just cycle in a park round and round safely.

I always sense a collective exasperated tsk from ppl whenever they see a cyclist, even kiddy bikes, appearing.
    That's exactly why they are building cycle path networks. I know the locations are not ideal for all the HK island folks, but for the rest of us they are a Godsend. Used for exercise, fun and even commuting.

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisX:
    Any chance we can have some kind of pause on people not living in HK telling people in HK how things are (or aren't as in this case)?

Are there no expat forums in Japan?
    This seems to be a bit of an exclusionary bugbear of yours, you bring this up over and over again. You seem to want to discount the opinions of anyone who has left, regardless of how long they've lived here or what their family ties to Hong Kong are.

Yes, many posters have left. It's a thing that's been happening for decades, and has been accelerating for obvious reasons. This includes some of the most regular and useful contributors.

I would provide a counter-argument, that many of the more recent (Covid was the turning point) and prolific posters have very little to offer to the forum in the way of useful information or viewpoints, and instead seem to spend most of their time here trying to tear the place down, out of some kind of misplaced sense of frustration with the world. Many of the older posters were well known for getting into protracted arguments, but they also tended to try to add useful information or interesting viewpoints.

I honestly have no idea why someone (I think it was you again) would complain that someone like Hull posts information about incoming typhoons that sweep past the Philippines. Skyhook and BDW regularly post about life in Australia which serve as useful reminders of what other options exist for some of us. Titus on the odd occasion offers really inspiring post-relocation takes on backcountry British Columbia.

Take a step back and look at yourself. Go through your own post history. I have been through it, and honestly cannot say that I particularly value your presence here, because most of your participation is antagonistic and arrogant. Very little of it is what I could consider positive. I get into these nasty arguments as well, but at least I try to post useful information on HK about tech sourcing.

On the cycling front, I don't put much credence into government initiatives. I've been manually involved with trail building, I've watched interactions with the AFCD. Things have improved, but the waste of resources and effort is colossal.

I have cycled extensively throughout the New Territories, where it's obviously much more common, but the weather is harsh on bikes (leading to ugly junkers rusting all over the place) and harsh on riders. As far as exercise... I don't consider that to be the case. It's more of a leisurely day out at a slow pace, nothing wrong with that, but let's not call it exercise.

The proposed path is probably better than nothing, but as a keen cyclist, it's certainly hard to get excited about.
    TheBrit, aw451 and shri like this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    The lack of

- Shade
    - Sound / pollution protection

Is 'surprising'

It could be nicer to ride on than just concrete structure next to a highway as currently planned

Attachment 87460

Also the width of the path looks like it won't allow safe segregation of the casual riders and the frequent riders. Probably ~20kph difference.
    regular riders (ie the ones that ride several times a week somewhat competitively) don't use bike path but ride in Lantau, clearwater Bay, Saikung etc. so not really an issue.
    Chris_hk likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast